Green hair algae discussion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FYI I know you talk a lot about MT syndrom, but I have something even worse. I have "everything in a jar" syndrom. At this moment, I have a vase filled with hornwort (30l easily), a 3l jar with soil and anubias, two jars with oak leaves soaking, two much larger jars with the same leaves dried, I have a bowl filled with riccia I took out of other tank (filled with duckweed though), a small jar filled with few strands of moss (same one filled with algae, to try to breed it out without the algae), and a jar filled with stones, hoping for algae growth... And now a bucket of moss with algae...
What is wrong with me

Two months after the main tank has had the bloom of hair green algae, the issue is even worse.
I stopped using fertilizer altogether. My plants have never been better. Limnobium, which I could never keep for long before, sprouts new rosettes that are looking nice, no brown stains. Naias doubles in volume, anubias started blooming, my Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia sprouted three new stems with 3 small leaves and 3 brand new large leaves in the main plant. I even kept the duckweed on the surface to help with possible nutrient imbalance and I shortened the lights on period to 8 hours from 10.
I have never had that much green algae, the naias is basically full of it, it has started growing on the wood, one of the anubias is covered in it. Along this, black beard algae started appearing as well, on the anubias, in pre-filter media, on the wood.
I still suspect one or two of the large wood pieces to not be ok, but I am not mentally prepared to take it out at this point. I would also be taking most of the cover from the bamboo shrimp and corydoras so I need to replace it with something before just tossing it.
What approach can I try for the algae? I dont mind it aesthetically, but I feel the tetras, that live in the naias, especially at night, cant really swim in it.

Most reactions

trending

Back