"Green Genie 48000" filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

George&Ade

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi.

I have a pond approx.950 gallons,stocked with 14 koi (ghost,butterfly etc..) and 4

goldfish.The pond is is full sun nearly all day,and have 2 water lillies (but not many

leaves on them yet)

Im using quite a powerfull pump which runs through my 25 watt u.v,then into my

"Bermuda 7500" pressurised filter,then runs down a waterfall back into the pond.

I dont feel that the filter is big enough to cope with the effects of the sun(im

getting a lot of algae floating on the surface of pond,and im having to clean filter

sponges every 2 to 3 days).

The water has never really been clear,and im wondering if i should upgrade to the

above filter...."Green Genie 48000".

I have no problems with it being a gravity fed filter,and the other plus thing is,

it also has 2x25 watt uv bulbs.(would give a total of 50 watts) :hey:

I could run the 2 filters together until the the green genie has been given time to

"acclimatise" maybe a month or two?

Just wondered what you thought of these ideas please?

P.S.Have seen this filter on internet for £144.99...not sure if its cheaper elsewhere.

P.P.S......sorry ..i cant count....should read 75 watts,not 50 :rofl:

Hi wilder....yes ive got some barley straw in the pond (decomposing nicely) :hey:

I dont really have much of a problem with the blanket weed. :whistle:

I have a similair sized pond, prehaps abit larger, with Koi, Orfe, Tench, Rudd and Goldfish and I don't need a filter like a green genie to keep things clean and clear, although the fish are all young and produce far less waste. Your pond, to be honest is very over stocked with 14 Koi, I'd only put four at most in that size pond. The waste from these fish will increase algae growth, add this to the sunlight and you have a problem. So adding a larger filter would help, or adding another similair sized filter, whichever is more convenient or cheaper. However, I would plan for extensions to your pond if you plan to keep the 14 Koi to full size. :)

Oh blimey....didnt realise i was overstocked.

We did plan to find another home for the ghost koi next year,and maybe add one or two butterfly koi.

Maybe its time to have a re-think.

Many thanks ryan

I don't mean to tell you've done things wrong, your pond is great. But don't forget Koi will reach 10-15" at least and in the right conditions should reach 20-25" and will make this in about 5 years. Imagine 14 of those in the pond and you will see the problem, and they produce alot more waste than the average Goldfish.

I filter my pond with a slightly larger filter and one small filter from a previous pond. At the moment I keep three Orfes (2 orange, 1 blue), three Goldfish, four Golden Rudd and one Ghost Koi and one Golden Tench. All of these fish are under 4" except the Tench which is about 7" , the pond also has direct sunlight from midday until about 7 but the water is still kept clear, it just shows you how much stocking levels can affect algae etc. I will add a couple of large Japanese Koi but that will be about all considering all the fishes growth potentail.

Its up to you but I would gradually thin out your stock if you can or extend, HTH, best of luck. It would be good to buy the filter though, you can never have enough filtration and it will help keep the water clear and support the fish.

Keep us posted :)

Just spotted something, in your signature it says your pond is 8'x11'x3' or 96"x132"x36". By these measurements your pond actually holds -

Litres: 7475.65
US Gallons: 1975.07
UK Gallons: 1644.64

Considerable more :lol: in which case a bigger filter is probably best and you won't need to thin your collection out as much, but I would still advise getting rid of a few Koi.

thanks ryan.....not sure how i came up with that figure of 950 though :whistle:

Yep...reckon the ghost koi will have to be re-homed. (they seem to be the greediest too) although having said that,i only feed every 2 days.

Maybe the goldfish too..(added them to the pond first for about 6 weeks to kick start the filter)

I think i will get that other filter too.

Thanks again.

Why not DIY it? This is highly rewarding and often much better and cheaper in the long run.

The pond is porbably closer to the 950-1000 gallon range. 3 feet deep is probably the deepest part of the pond where the average depth is closer to 1.5 feet.

Calculating at an average depth of 1.5 feet gives:

987 US Gallons
3736 Liters
822 Imperial Gallons

DIY Pond Filter

thank you rivermud.
Yes,the pond is about 2ft.4in at one end,and about 3ft.6in. at the other.
I also have quite a wide "marginal shelf" all the way around (about 4in.wide and 3-4 in. deep.)
That is a good idea about making my own,but as i have a little spare cash at the moment,i thought i would splash out on my fishes...ha ha.
(Also,the extra 50 watt uv i would get) :hey:

ive just bought one of the Green Genie filters myself twin outlet and 25watt uv ,the cyprio didnt seem to be handling the green water problem that well and i was changing the filter pads weekly the green genie has 4 pads which should filter out the smaller particless better than the hozelock one,you can run 2 for a few days till your sponges become colonised with bacteria fingers crossed itl solve your problem :hey: ;)

Thanks bribones.

Ive actually ordered one of those filters from the internet.

It has 3 outlets,and 2x25 watt uv.

That would give me a total of 75watts.(still no excuse to overstock though i know).

Have possibly found a good home for the 4 ghost koi and 3 of the goldfish,so that should help.

Would a couple of days be enough to run the 2 filters together,or best to leave them both running for say 2 weeks?

remove one of the green genie pads and put your old filter pad in its place i think itl fit once the other pads have been running for a week disguard the old pad and replace the original one :cool:

thats what i did :D no need to run 2 filters

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back