Green Freshwater Pipefish

millwall

Reaction score
Hi, iHi, Iā€™m quite chuffed with myself today I showed great restraint in not buying loads of fish while up Crews hill which if your not familiar with is a place in north London where there is several large fish shops all pretty close to one another. I have however identified a couple of fish I must have in the future one being as the title says a green freshwater pipefish, the thing is I canā€™t find much info on them. The lfs had them on sale in their community section & the fella I spoke to could only offer up that they are quite sensitive & donā€™t grow too big. So is there any body on here that keeps them or has any info they could share, with regards to tank mates & tank set up. Cheers.

From www.fishbase.org/Country/CountrySearchList.cfm?Country=144&Group=freshwater

Freshwater pipefish Ichthyocampus carce
Max. size: 15.0 cm
Distribution: Indo-West Pacific: west coast of India to Indonesia.
Biology: Inhabits relatively still waters (Ref. 12693). Most frequently found in rivers, streams and estuaries. Ovoviviparous (Ref. 205). The male carries the eggs in a brood pouch which is found under the tail (Ref. 205). Males maybe brooding at 7.8 cm SL (Ref. 5316). Feeds on worms, crustaceans and small zooplankton.

-------or----------

Freshwater, Short-tailed pipefish, Microphis brachyurus brachyurus

Max. size: 22.0 cm SL
Distribution: Asia and Oceania: Sri Lanka, southern India, Nicobar Islands and eastward to Japan and the Society Islands Records from Puerto Rico and USA need confirmation. Africa: east coast from Kenya south to Natal area. Also Madagascar and Mauritius (Ref. 7248). Africa: CĆ“te d'Ivoire (Ref. 272). Western Atlantic: Atlantic coast of Florida, Bahamas, northern and southern Gulf of Mexico, Antilles, central and south American coasts to Brazil (Ref. 26938).

Occurs in relatively shallow (25-150 cm), still to slow-flowing water (Ref. 6028). Inhabits freshwater streams, rivers and estuaries. Juveniles and subadults are usually found in estuaries while adults are found upstream in freshwater areas. Feeds on worms, crustaceans and zooplankton. Ovoviviparous (Ref. 205). The male carries the eggs in a brood pouch which is found under the tail (Ref. 205). Not seen in markets (Ref. 12693

Yah, so it does not say anything about pH, tmperature or hardness but hey-it's a start! I hope this helps.

Cheers any info is good info, I have now at least found the Latin name (Microphis deocata) but not much more than that but I will endeavour.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back