Green filament algae is getting me down.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have cut my lighting down to 6 hours, I add liquid ferts once a week and I try and remove as much as possible a couple of times a week. Does it ever resolve? I can only get gel capsule root tabs at the moment and they really spike the nitrate levels. I’m contemplating getting rid of my beautiful variety of plants and just having another super low light settup instead.

Attachments

• C1D1CDD9-5B4B-436D-9C94-555941FFB7AC.jpeg
    C1D1CDD9-5B4B-436D-9C94-555941FFB7AC.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 127
  • D931226D-8BD9-490A-9670-A3A092F51D95.jpeg
    D931226D-8BD9-490A-9670-A3A092F51D95.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 929D49C8-0BAC-44CB-A041-C9F940DE97EA.jpeg
    929D49C8-0BAC-44CB-A041-C9F940DE97EA.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 114
Its green slime algae. Its actually poisonous to fish snail shrimp. Its actually a cynobacteria and will continue to spread until its all gone.
Turn of the lights for 48hrs or more during this time dont feed or any light in the tank, i put a towel over the glass to assure no outside light gets in.this the cynobacteria should die off. Do a large water change and suck out all the dead cynobacteria if its not all dead extend the black out up to a week. The fish will be ok not eating for a week the plants wont like the dark but they dont like slime algae either and as long as their roots are intact theyll be fine. After blackout do large water change, remove any leaves that look infected.good luck slime algae is the worst. Also invest in some anacharis plant, it is said to have something in it that wards off slime algae in tanks

That is green slim algae. I’ve heard it is poisonous to fish?

I suggest trying to remove it now. If you have any artificial plants or decor, you can take those out and rinse them in hot water. (Don’t use soap or bleach)

Also invest in some anacharis plant, it is said to have something in it that wards off slime algae in tanks
That definitely works. I keep my tank lights on for 14 hours a day and I have no algae. My main plant is Anacharis is all of my tanks.

I personally think that the Broad Leaf variation of Anacharis looks better than the narrow leaf Anacharis. But that’s your choice. :)

That definitely works. I keep my tank lights on for 14 hours a day and I have no algae. My main plant is Anacharis is all of my tanks.

I personally think that the Broad Leaf variation of Anacharis looks better than the narrow leaf Anacharis. But that’s your choice. :)
Anacharis is a heavy feeder so in theory will out compete algae for nutrients.
Thing with green blue slime algae is its a bacteria so it operates a little different but for whatever reason anacharis has something it it that combats slime algae bacteria, who knows maybe its just a myth or urban legend but its worth a try, slime algae is the worst:(

@utahfish thankyou. It had t occurred to me that it might not be that bad, looking at pictures the thick slime with gas bubbles trapped in it does seem to be Cyanobacteria. I will remove as much as possible and do a water change before the blackout. I have some anacharis in my daphnia jar so I will add that too.

@utahfish thankyou. It had t occurred to me that it might not be that bad, looking at pictures the thick slime with gas bubbles trapped in it does seem to be Cyanobacteria. I will remove as much as possible and do a water change before the blackout. I have some anacharis in my daphnia jar so I will add that too.
Sounds good to me. Anacharis will grow fast. Once it reaches the surface, you can trim them with a pair of AquaScaping Scissors. Just replant the top part of your trimming. The original Anacharis will eventually sprout out in different places.

It really is. It’s crazy hard to remove and to keep out of your tank. When I first setup my 10g, I had slime algae. It was everywhere. :/
Yup it will usually come in on other plants as a little spore its nasty stuff that can deoxygenate your tank and kill everything.

Yup it will usually come in on other plants as a little spore its nasty stuff that can deoxygenate your tank and kill everything.
When it did, it killed half my shrimp. It also got over all of my sand, plants, rocks, etc. I had to take very single piece of decor out and clean it really good. This stuff is nasty.

Sounds good to me. Anacharis will grow fast. Once it reaches the surface, you can trim them with a pair of AquaScaping Scissors. Just replant the top part of your trimming. The original Anacharis will eventually sprout out in different places.
Also forgot to mention to kick the temp down a few notches. Bacteria blooms will occur in slow moving warm water. Increasing water circulation can also help get rid of cynobacteria.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back