Green/brown water from driftwood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

ellamay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve had this piece of driftwood (middle) in my tank for a few months and since itā€™s been in there itā€™s making the water look so green!!! I soaked the wood for two weeks changing the water every few days before it even went in and it doesnā€™t seem to be getting any better. Is this normal? When I do water changes I can see so many little bits coming off it. Donā€™t know if I should stick with it for a bit longer or take it out. My shrimp LOVE it for breeding.

Attachments

• 2E621B1E-BF4B-47A4-A9B7-82580D241B06.jpeg
    2E621B1E-BF4B-47A4-A9B7-82580D241B06.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 73
A green suspension in your water will likely be algae.
This is quite natural and, looking at the absence of any fast-growing plants, could even be beneficial.
Algae control requires a reduction in light and organic waste, usually caused by over-feeding.

I run one of my tanks with tannin (from local leaves) and slightly green water, because I've learned my wood shrimp are particularly fond. As you've also noticed, your shrimp will appreciate the 'biofilm'.

A green suspension in your water will likely be algae.
This is quite natural and, looking at the absence of any fast-growing plants, could even be beneficial.
Algae control requires a reduction in light and organic waste, usually caused by over-feeding.

I run one of my tanks with tannin (from local leaves) and slightly green water, because I've learned my wood shrimp are particularly fond. As you've also noticed, your shrimp will appreciate the 'biofilm'.
Itā€™s sort of green/ brown ish and is definately much worse because of the log because even with just the water in the bucket it was VERY brown every time I changed it. All the plants Iā€™ve currently got are doing ok but Iā€™ve not had much luck with fast growers šŸ˜‚ I do need to get some floating plants. Iā€™ve got my light set at 4 hours a day.

You could take the wood out and put it in a pot of boiling water...keep changing the water until its gone from looking like dye..to tan I i guess. A few hours to make it safe forever.

Boiling the wood will break down the cellulose down quicker meaning it will decay faster in your tank. Personally I don't mind the tinge from the tannins, regular water changes and the addition of charcoal/carbon in your filter will remove some of the tannins. Note however it will also remove other things like fertilisers and treatments.

Stick some Seachem Purigen in, that will sort it right out....

Seachem Purigen for Freshwater, 100 ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002A5VK2/?tag=

But only regen it if you are comfortable putting a bleached item back in your tank. I nearly wiped out my Tetras, and that was after rinsing the bag out again 3 times!! I Just replace it when it gets dark brown. But this is the kiddy for polishing off your water

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back