Green Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Prissymissysfish

Reaction score
Dealing with green algae.. how do I get rid of it??
Iā€™ve turned off the lights but it seems to be coming back

Attachments

• FF3E587D-510C-4E07-B02F-238AE13C7CC0.jpeg
    FF3E587D-510C-4E07-B02F-238AE13C7CC0.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 18F09664-2157-45F5-9D89-713537F1BB27.jpeg
    18F09664-2157-45F5-9D89-713537F1BB27.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 35
Hello. What can I say about algae? I love the stuff. There's no better water filter. I have quite a bit of algae in all my tanks. Combine the algae and large, weekly water changes and you'll have no water chemistry problems. This 55 gallon tank as been running for some time and the algae is plentiful, even though I don't feed much. I do have pretty strong lighting above this tank. I just clean the filters and change a lot of tank water every week.

10 Tank (Now 11)

Attachments

• IMG_3878 (1).jpg
    IMG_3878 (1).jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 36
Colin is right on the mark, problem algae (and the photos definitely show problem algae) is caused by an imbalance of light and nutrients. Light involves intensity (which has to be sufficient for the plants in the tank but no more), spectrum (this drives photosynthesis so the plants can grow), and duration. Nutrients involves the natural nutrients occurring from fish being fed, plant additives if any, and water changes.

If you can provide some data on all these factors, we should be able to resolve things.

I would do more frequent water changes and maybe get an algae earing fish or a snail or something.

Snails might help, though they are very slow eating algae. I am not aware of any fish that will touch what is in the photos. This is caused by nature, and the best way to fix it is with nature. We need the data previously requested.

We need the data previously requested.
We need:
How long is the light on each day
Spectrum - this is a 4 digit number followed by a K. It may be written on the tube, the original packaging or the manufacturer's website.
Intensity of the light
Which plant fertiliser, if used
Water changes - how often and how large

We need:
How long is the light on each day
Spectrum - this is a 4 digit number followed by a K. It may be written on the tube, the original packaging or the manufacturer's website.
Intensity of the light
Which plant fertiliser, if used
Water changes - how often and how large
Ok I think the light was too bright so I moved it. The numbers I have is 5730 for light source and 10 W.. Iā€™m not sure if these are the numbers being requested. Iā€™ve moved it higher and away from the tank to lessen the intensity.
I did a clean today and threw out the plants that were in the tank since the algae had covered all of it and created an inter-web
Prior to this, I did weekly water change about 1/3 out but when I threw out the plants today I did an almost 90% water change today to scrape off the algae on glass. There were snails already in the tank.
I never added any fertilizer to this tank but I use flourish for my pothos and plants in big tank.
I put a plant from my big tank over to the small tank so the baby guppies can hide.
I added my pothos to this tank.
I think the light was the problem cuz it was too bright..
I think I covered a lot of issues but let me know if there is anything else I can do
now itā€™s just watch and wait..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 23

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back