Green Algae Growth

styla12

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My friend tropical tank seems to be getting loads of green algae growth on the white gravel as shown in photo.

What is causing this and how do you best remove it? Don't want to have to take out all the gravel?

Is it a bad idea to have white gravel? Would you recommend switch to black then?

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_003007_524.jpg
    IMG_20200402_003007_524.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 2,285
How many hours of light does your tank get every day? Try reducing the light 2 hours and see of that helps :)

How many hours of light does your tank get every day? Try reducing the light 2 hours and see of that helps :)
So only have it on for 2 hours? Also, if so would that automatically reduce the algae or do I have to clean it out myself?

So only have it on for 2 hours? Also, if so would that automatically reduce the algae or do I have to clean it out myself?
No, so let's say you have the light on 8 hours a day, reduce it to 6 :) it should go away on it's own. If it's on the glass you can wipe it off with an unused sponge (get a new sponge and only use it for fish) :)

Ok cheers buddy will give that a go.

Only have light on for 6 hours a day so will cut it down to 2 hours and see.

Doesn't that mean I will keep having a recurring problem though even after it fixes if light stays on longer? Perhaps some Otocinclus catfish will help?

In any aquarium, nutrients plus light no matter how much will cause algae; normal common green algae. You have a problem when it becomes "problem" algae and suffocates live plants, but otherwise without plants it will be there.

White gravel will increase algae because it reflects light, so a darker substrate would help "hide" this. And most fish prefer darker substrates because it is more natural. Floating plants also help by reducing light and using nutrients.

The fish that generally eat algae might help, but we cannot suggest fish without knowing what other fish are in the tank, and the water parameters (if this tank is in London, I believe the water is fairly hard). Fish have their specific requirements and may not fit in with what is already there.

The other cause is too much nutrients in the water, how often do you feed your fish and do you do weekly water changes and by how much? Also what can help is some live plants to absorb those nutrients. Do you have any live plants in your tank?

My feiend feeds the fish every other day.

Will ask her to switch to black gravel and get some plants as currently there are none.

Thanks guys

My feiend feeds the fish every other day.

Will ask her to switch to black gravel and get some plants as currently there are none.

Thanks guys
Some easy to care for plants are ferns-Java, African water and crested ferns which you can attach to wood or rocks and anacharis, hornwort, water sprite and moneywort which you and just stick into the gravel or allow to float. All absorb what they need from the water. That fast growing plants are the ones that you can let float and do the best job of absorbing excess nutrients out of the water.

Algae will grow anywhere there is water and light. If you don't have any live plants in the tank, algae will grow instead.

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is a good plant to try and grows rapidly across the surface. It can also be planted in the gravel.

Put a heap of live plants in the tank and they will reduce or even stop the algae from growing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back