Green algae forming on substrate. How do I stop it?!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

eddr86

Reaction score
Hi all,

Iā€™ve noticed a green algae forming on the substrate (see pictures). How can I stop this before thereā€™s an outbreak?!

I believe it started when adding 2 banana plants I bought (which look far from healthy!). But canā€™t be sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

d00f8014c6ae44df06b4bc4480ed304f.jpg
17455c5ff25d96dbd441374434df277b.jpg
66dfc80447695dc9f5b2ebec98ee611f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria). It loves light, nutrients and slow moving water. Cut back on dry food, do more water changes and gravel cleans. And increase water movement around the bottom of the tank.

Great thank you. Did a 50% water change at weekend, but didnā€™t clean gravel so will do so at the weekend.

The external filters poly foam was also blocked up so the flow had decreased which Iā€™ve now rectified. Will see how it goes.

Should I decrease light hours for a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do a 50% water change and complete gravel clean each day to try and physically suck the Cyanobacteria out of the tank. Make sure you wash the gravel cleaner and bucket out with hot water afterwards and wash your hands and arms because blue green algae can irritate your skin.

---------------------
Don't bother reducing light if you have live plants in the tank.

If you have a fluorescent light on the tank and the light globe is more than 12 months old, see about replacing the globe and starter. The starter is in the light unit and should be replaced each time the globe is replaced.

Get a globe with a Kelvin (K) rating around 6500K. As fluoro globes get old they produce more yellow and red light and this can encourage blue green algae. A globes with a higher Kelvin rating (6500K) will have more blue light and can help reduce the algae.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back