Great video but how did they breed ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score

In this planted aquarium amano shrimp are breeding but I'm sure I read they need specific salty conditions for this?

What a great video, love the tank! thank you for sharing, with regards to the Amanos it is the larvae that need salt water to survive so they will breed but then the babies won't survive, the cherry shrimps will be able to though and as much as I love bettas and he is a gorgeous one I think he will mess up the dynamics a bit, everything else bar him was great! he will just scare the tetras and eat all the cherry shrimplets, as for a name he looks like a Huey :)

with regards to the Amanos it is the larvae that need salt water to survive so they will breed but then the babies won't survive

Hi I'm confused, so it makes babies but they will die regardless?

Yes that's right, the babies need a source of brackish water to survive, adults only live and breed in fresh water, without any access to brackish water when the young finally hatch they will die, in the wild they can migrate to saltier areas.

Yes that's right, the babies need a source of brackish water to survive, adults only live and breed in fresh water, without any access to brackish water when the young finally hatch they will die, in the wild they can migrate to saltier areas.
Well that's crazy! I guess when people breed these they need two tanks then?

It is difficult to breed amanos because the salinity has to be a certain level for the larvae. If it's not quite right, they die. And the water needs to be green with a certain type of algae to feed the larvae. This is why virtually all amanos for sale are wild caught.

It is difficult to breed amanos because the salinity has to be a certain level for the larvae. If it's not quite right, they die. And the water needs to be green with a certain type of algae to feed the larvae. This is why virtually all amanos for sale are wild caught.
They don't live in the UK do they?

No, they are native to the far east - Japan, Taiwan etc.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back