Gravel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sgtbirch

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used pea stone from the local Home depot(or equivilent) I know it must be rinse off and boiled then tested with vinegar but any other reason I should not use it in my new setup

i did.......but i switched because i found that my gravel cleaner couldnt stir the rocks well enough.

Depends on the size of the pea gravel, bigger stones don't help when you are doing a gravel clean as they get stuck in the collecting tube and have to poke a pencial through to loosen them :/ so i would say smaller the better :) You can pea stone from some pet stores ie Pets at Home

this is safe to use in the aquarium. have it in my 180. hubby decided that aquarium gravel was too much for the larger tank. i wanted a more natural tank. so in he dumped the pea gravel. make sure that you rinse it, stir, rinse, stir, rinse, stir..... there is a ton of sand in it! still getting some of the sand out of the gravel and it has been a year. you can drill holes in the bottom and sides of a five gallon bucket just a touch smaller than the stones to rinse it. the dirt and sediment will flow out with the water and leave the gravel.

also, don't rinse in the bathtub, takes forever to get the crap out of there also! :grr:

maggie

Yeah I couldnt believe the cost of gravel around here. Would cost approximately 90 bucks to feill the gravel in my tank. I have better uses for my money(like fish). Plus I am really trying to see how inexpensive I can make a completed tank. I also like the natural looking tank. Pes dtone (smaller than pea gravel and a little less dirty) will cost under 5 dollars to fill my tank :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back