Gravel vac or no?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hurgerburger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I've had a 5.5 gallon heavily planted betta tank for about 6 months now with fluval stratum (the little dirt ball things) as the substrate. Over time, there has been this gunk that's just accumulated on the bottom of the tank and parts of the driftwood. I'm assuming it's bits of dead plants, dead algae, and fish poop (I always remove betta pellets that sink to the bottom). I should mention it's a very well cycled tank. I've seen conflicting info online as to whether I should gravel vac a planted tank (especially one as planted as mine, and with the substrate I have). In the past I've tried kicking up the gunk with a toothbrush to try to get it to go into the filter, but that doesn't work all that well. I'm fine leaving the tank as it is, with gunk scattered on the bottom, as long as it won't bother the fish or mess with the cycle. If I do end up gravel vacuuming, how should I go about it with a planted tank? should I just suck up the bits scattered on the top of the substrate or should I disturb it a little? I have a gravel vac meant for a 20 gallon, should I get a smaller one just for the 5.5 tank? thank you all in advance!
IMG_2230.jpeg
IMG_2231.jpeg

I think you are increasing the likelihood of the fish contracting a bacterial infection if you were to continue not to vacuum the gravel. I would do a superficial vacuum of the top of the substrate and not heavily disturb any pockets of gas that may have built up.

Also, when you fill the tank back up you may want to invest in a small saucer for the water to hit so the water itself does not disturb the substrate.

I think you are increasing the likelihood of the fish contracting a bacterial infection if you were to continue not to vacuum the gravel. I would do a superficial vacuum of the top of the substrate and not heavily disturb any pockets of gas that may have built up.
Thanks!

I would vacuum it. It appears to be a bit moldy almost. I would hover the gravel vac above the substrate so it sucks it up, just don’t get in all behind the plants

Any rotting waste in the tank encourages harmful disease organisms to grow. This includes things like bacteria, protozoa and fungus.

With planted tanks, you can gravel clean the open areas but leave an inch of undisturbed substrate around each plant. This lets you remove most of the gunk but not affect the roots of the plants.

If you have sword plants, leave a couple of inches of undisturbed substrate around them because they have bigger root systems.

Any rotting waste in the tank encourages harmful disease organisms to grow. This includes things like bacteria, protozoa and fungus.

With planted tanks, you can gravel clean the open areas but leave an inch of undisturbed substrate around each plant. This lets you remove most of the gunk but not affect the roots of the plants.

If you have sword plants, leave a couple of inches of undisturbed substrate around them because they have bigger root systems.
Thank you! looks like I'll be getting a gravel vac then :)

You want to do more than this...there is evidence here of excess organics (not only the brown gunk on the surfaces, but on the dangling roots of the floating plants). Sometimes in an aquarium these organics increase almost without reason, I went through this with one tank. But often they are manageable...vacuum the substrate in open areas only, and well. If you stay in the open areas and go down vertical to the tank bottom glass, you will suck up any anaerobic issues and not cause poisoning--but don't go outside the open area, and always straight down and up in each spot, then move "next door." Keep the filter well rinsed of any organic matter. Partial water changes of 60-70@ once a week, at one time, during which you do the substrate clean and rinse the filter media. Don't overfeed (not suggesting you are, just this is another source of organics), and minimal feed...and missing one, two or three days each week does no harm. And make sure the light is controlled...depending what it is, and the intensity, perhaps reduce the duration (seven or eight hours each day is sufficient, in one continuous period).

The algae in the photos is further evidence of probably excess nutrients (the organics) and/or light (intensity and/or duration, try the duration less first).

You want to do more than this...there is evidence here of excess organics (not only the brown gunk on the surfaces, but on the dangling roots of the floating plants). Sometimes in an aquarium these organics increase almost without reason, I went through this with one tank. But often they are manageable...vacuum the substrate in open areas only, and well. If you stay in the open areas and go down vertical to the tank bottom glass, you will suck up any anaerobic issues and not cause poisoning--but don't go outside the open area, and always straight down and up in each spot, then move "next door." Keep the filter well rinsed of any organic matter. Partial water changes of 60-70@ once a week, at one time, during which you do the substrate clean and rinse the filter media. Don't overfeed (not suggesting you are, just this is another source of organics), and minimal feed...and missing one, two or three days each week does no harm. And make sure the light is controlled...depending what it is, and the intensity, perhaps reduce the duration (seven or eight hours each day is sufficient, in one continuous period).

The algae in the photos is further evidence of probably excess nutrients (the organics) and/or light (intensity and/or duration, try the duration less first).
Thank you! I just reduced light intensity. Algae has been a problem too, so hopefully reducing the light intensity will help with that too.

Most reactions

trending

Back