Gravel substrate or soil?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a tank with sweet pea substrate. I am thinking of changing to tropica soil to benifit the plants. Does the soil look as good as the sweet pea?

Not really sure what sweet pea substrate is. Are you speaking of pea gravel?

Choice of substrate and how it looks to each person is highly subjective, I would look at what you are trying to achieve in your set-up to determine how well a particular substrate material will work for you.
You do say you would like to use Tropica soil to benefit the plants. It is beneficial to plants; but, if you already have pea gravel and a low density of plantings you could use root tabs and/or possibly an all-in one and be able to keep the substrate you have. Depends.
Need more information on your set-up: what you hope to achieve, the plants you have, whether you have a low-tech or high-tech set-up and, of course, a picture would also be great.

Agree with the above. Not all plants benefit from a nutrient rich substrate, stem plants take most from the water column and epiphyte plants too won't benefit from it. Root heavy plants like Crypts or Swords would love a nutrient rich substrate but if you do not plan on using these then it isnt necessary.

Would depend on your plans and how you the overall look you are going for.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back