Gravel question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BirdofPray

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm reading the booklet that came with my brand new fishtank setup and in the booklet it says 1.5-2 pounds of gravel per gallon. Is that a good rule of thumb, or do you guys use a better one. I'm becoming quite attached to this place as you can tell. I'd rather get the OK from you even over what it says with what comes in the tank.

well, i read in a book that i have that this is a pretty good amount, though I think that it really depends on your live plants, filter (if it is undergravel), fish (if they dig), and bottom surface area :alien:

Ok. This is a brand new tank and situation for me. I never had a big tank and had to use a filter. I'll try to explain it the best I can. I have a 12 gallon tank, and the filter is called a bio-wheel (Whatever that means) I doubt I'll keep live plants in it. The back measures about 14 inches and the side is about 8.5 inches. The front is cruved too. So with that setup, 1.5-2 pounds per gallon would be fine?

well, I am definetly NOT a pro, but that should be more than enough for your tank. since your plants will not need heavy gravel and your biowheel filter won't need it either, you might even consider adding maybe a half pound less than 1.5 pounds per gallon unless you are terracing. I got this from calculating a bottom area of 119 sq inches, and following another good rule I also know, you should have maybe 10 pounds minimum

check with a few other people too, because I may be wrong.
Or get a 10 pound bag and try it out. if it doesnt work out, you could estimate how much more you need or return it for a smaller size

THat would be lots of gravel for your tank. If you are not putting in plants then the gravel is up to you. You should have an inch or so, this will give the bcterai a good bed to grow in and give the tanka nice appearance. More than that is strictly your call. If you are going to plant then what the book said is fine. The biowheel is a very good type of filter. Good Luck with the new tank. HTH :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back