What's new

Gravel for African cichlid tank?

Byron

Reaction score
No, in the best interests of the fish. Cichlids are substrate feeders, filter feeders, and they pick uyp mouthfuls of the substrate and expel some of it via the gills. Sand allows them to do this, gravel does not. An aragonite sand is best. Or an inert sand if GH/pH/KH are high enough in the source water to buffer and remain steady.

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I had African Cichlid years ago in a 55 gallon tank, They did just fine in fact I ended up with over 50 of them. I took in 8 as a rescue. They did tear up my plastic plants o_O and I ended up only having them in my tank. I did have small size gravel at the time.

Byron

Reaction score
I had African Cichlid years ago in a 55 gallon tank, They did just fine in fact I ended up with over 50 of them. I took in 8 as a rescue. They did tear up my plastic plants o_O and I ended up only having them in my tank. I did have small size gravel at the time.
I had gravel too, back in the 1980's, before I knew what I was doing. :fish:

Colin_T

Reaction score
different substrates won't stop fish breeding.

you can use anything on the bottom but if you have bottom dwelling fishes or fishes they pick up the substrate in their mouth, then use a smooth substrate or sand.

trending

Staff online

Most reactions - Past 7 days