Grasses Or Low Growing Plants For Substrate

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

chishnfips

WHAT! You went over my Helmet!
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was thinking about getting some type of low growing grass (if there is such a thing) to cover part of the tank floor. at the mo its all sand, I have some java fern and an amazon sword in there but would like a little carpet of grass in one corner.

Is it easy to do and maintain? I dont want to mess around with mental lights, ferts an Co2 so just something simple that grows and doesn't overtake the tank.

Is there such a plant?

This is my tank so you can see how I have the plants at the mo

post-8687-0-55231100-1315383734.jpg

Cheers chish

easy answer is no. none of them are particularly easy to maintain and many need ferts, high light co2 etc.

You could try Glosso or probably the most easy method is to use a moss tied to small bits of slate. You then lay these bits of slate in the area you want carpeted and wait for it to grow out. When it gets too long you can lift the individual little slate sections and trim them easily.

xmas moss is a good one to try.

thanks for the reply, I kind of thought that with the lights and ferts etc... I like the xmas moss tho, thats nice...

Can you use some sort or plastic mesh? Would it root to it, and how do you get it to establish on the slate or mesh without it floating away?

Cheers

You can buy a clear thread from fabric shops. Just place the moss on the slate tile and wrap the tread around lots and tie it off on the back. Easy.

I find dark green fine cotton thread the least noticeable with mosses

Xmas moss is a fantastic idea and it grows really fast once its established,let it grow until its bout 5 or 6 inch strands abd then use scissors to trim offnthat way u end up with a nice tIght knit lawn,looks really good.good luck with it,your tank looks fab by the way,keep up the good work!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back