Grafting Plants Onto An Upright Piece Of Driftwood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CherryBerry

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello I got a 28 gallon tank recently, that I am just letting sit for a few months before I do anything with.  I did put a couple of wysteria in the tank just so they could start growing.

I got a large piece of driftwood that I'm going to put into the tank.  I noticed that the driftwood looks like a tree when it is sitting upright and I thought that this would be a beautiful piece of driftwood to sit upright, if this is at all possible.  I wanted to graft on some plants, like 3-5 anubias to the upright piece of driftwood so it would appear even more like a tree.  However, I'm wondering is this at all possible or would it be too difficult to graft the plants to an upright piece of driftwood?   Would they be able to take hold after a couple months, or would I need to leave them permanently secured?

The driftwood does have a few knobs sticking out 1-2" , so this is where I would want to graft them onto.

of course I'm also open to other suggestions of plants.  This is just an idea I'm kicking around, but I think the piece of driftwood would look beautiful with several plants growing off to the side of it, giving it the resemblance of a live tree.  

I might attach a picture as well.

super glue them works well as well, and a lot less hassle 

Here's a picture of the driftwood.  I'd like to at least have one plant on the top of it, right underneath where my hand is.  I think this should provide a good base for a plant and I should probably be able to graft a plant there, right?

I'm wondering if I would also be able to graft 2 plants on to the right and left side of the driftwood where there are 2 small stumps sticking out.  Any ideas?  Thanks for the input!

Attachments

• Driftwood.jpg
    Driftwood.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 131
It's not a problem putting plants in wood, in an direction; it can just be fiddly! I've done it lots of times
smile.png

Black cotton thread is good; just don't wrap it so tightly that it cuts into the plant. An extra pair of hands is very useful, as holding the plant, the wood and trying to tie knots in wet cotton needs the dexterity of an octopus!

You can also use rubber bands, or superglue (as long as it's a pure cyanoacrylate on; it will say on the bottle, most cheap superglues are).. I use superglue now, as it's quicker and less fiddly. Just don't use too much, as it does show up white underwater.

Oh, I forgot to say; the plants will secure themselves to the wood after a month or two and, at that point, you can cut the thread or rubber bands off, if you want to.

It's a lovely bit of wood and will look very effective with some plants on :)

fluttermoth said:
It's not a problem putting plants in wood, in an direction; it can just be fiddly! I've done it lots of times
smile.png

Black cotton thread is good; just don't wrap it so tightly that it cuts into the plant. An extra pair of hands is very useful, as holding the plant, the wood and trying to tie knots in wet cotton needs the dexterity of an octopus!

You can also use rubber bands, or superglue (as long as it's a pure cyanoacrylate on; it will say on the bottle, most cheap superglues are).. I use superglue now, as it's quicker and less fiddly. Just don't use too much, as it does show up white underwater.

Oh, I forgot to say; the plants will secure themselves to the wood after a month or two and, at that point, you can cut the thread or rubber bands off, if you want to.

It's a lovely bit of wood and will look very effective with some plants on
smile.png
Oh okay, I was wondering if they would be able to secure themselves to the wood or not, since the wood is upright and not laying down on its side!

I think I'll probably go with some sewing string, but I might use just a dab of superglue!

Maybe I'll have some pictures in a week or 2!  It depends how long it takes for this piece of wood to sink... Judging by the size of it... Maybe a couple weeks!

they will attach themselves over time, but they need to stay still while, hence the cotton / superglue/ rubber bands 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back