Gouramis

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MountGuppy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Im thinking of getting gouramis for my next tank how much do they cost and how many should i get.I have a ten gallon tank.What specieces should i get

cost wise, in canada they are between 5 and 10 dollars... so chop that in half and thats your cost :lol:
now, i really like colourful gourami, blue ones are really nice when you catch them under the light.
but they are all agressive, and will fight over territory, as noted in this thread:
http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9966
you may only want one for your 10 gallon tank. I hope others have better info for you.
best of luck.

I just got a male flame gourami, it is beautiful orange with a bright blue dorsal fin I paid $5.00us. He is great!

You could easily keep two gouramis in a 10 gal, but be sure it is well planted so that they can each have their own territory.

They are all beautiful. Look at the pearl gouramis or the platinum gouramis. But even the blues and golds are magnificient fish. And the sunset thick lipped gouramis are beautiful too.

Depending on what other fish you plan to have in your tank, you probably couldn't keep many gouramis in a 10 gallon (if you're going to have a community tank). Most types of gouramis, besides the dwarfs, will get too large for a 10 gallon tank. I'd suggest dwarf gouramis - either one male, or one male and one female (avoid getting two males!). However, with the m/f situation you may find the male harrasses the female so keep an eye on them. Your best best with these guys is to get one male. They're great fish, just very territorial. My two male dwarfs fight constantly - I had to purchase a new tank to seperate them. Good luck!

Sorry, no I don't have a digital camera yet. Wish I did. You would all love my gourami!!!

It's easy to tell a male from a female gourami if you have one of each, but a little harder if you only have one.

The blue gouramis are pretty much the same color, so that will not help you much.

Look at the dorsal fin; if it is fairly short and rounded at the back you probably have a female. If it is pointy, (it will be longer, too) then it is probably a male.

Then look down on it from the top of the tank. If it is sleek and slender it is a male, but if there is a distinct bulge toward the front of its body it is a female.

Please let us know what you have.

So, I've come home and looked at my blue gourami. It has a big bulge in it's stomach and it's dorsal fin seems like it's medium length and rounded on the end. From what you've said it would seem that I have a female?

Thanks
Wendy

Yes, BlueJeanGirlNC, it does sound like you have a female there. But, the next time you are at the lfs, why not give the gouramis a good looking at. Now that you know what signs to look for, once you see both sexes together, you will be better able to confirm this. :D

Most reactions

trending

Back