Gouramis

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Astronomiii

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I got a 55 gallon tank and I got 6 Harlequinn Rasboras, Rainbow Shark, 6 Cherry Barbs and 2 Pearl Gouramis, however the second I put the Gouramis in the tank, they instantly starting hiding on the bottom, knowing that they are a top dwelling fish, Im concerned. I am thinking maybe is it because of the flow on the top is too much, there is a fluval 307 canister filter pumping out water.

Are there any floating plants in the tank? I have pearl gouramis with harlequins and cherry barbs and they spend most of the time at the surface under the plants. They do go down to the bottom in search of food - and when they are stressed eg during a water change. Gouramis do like something over their heads.

Are there any floating plants in the tank? I have pearl gouramis with harlequins and cherry barbs and they spend most of the time at the surface under the plants. They do go down to the bottom in search of food - and when they are stressed eg during a water change. Gouramis do like something over their heads.
There is, there is a small floating water sprite, but that is about it

The thing is before getting the Gouramis, I read an article and the article said that floating plants are bad because it blocks the Gouramis path for oxygen

Mine have never had any trouble. If you are worried, a short length of airline tubing joined in a circle and floating on the surface will keep an area of surface free of plants. That's what I use to clear a small area to drop food into the tank.

Thank you to everyone who has helped, however one issue has led to another, the Gouramis are now doing happy, however one Gourami is being quite aggressive to the other

What gender are the gouramis? Males won't like sharing a tank. Two females should be OK as should a male/female pair.

post pictures of the fish and we can try to sex them.

male gouramis have longer more pointed dorsal and anal fins. Females are more rounded and shorter.

some species of gourami have different colours between males and females.

h
post pictures of the fish and we can try to sex them.

male gouramis have longer more pointed dorsal and anal fins. Females are more rounded and shorter.

some species of gourami have different colours between males and females.
here they are

Attachments

• gourami 2.PNG
    gourami 2.PNG
    19.4 KB · Views: 33
  • gourami 1.PNG
    gourami 1.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 31
The fish on the left has a small round dorsal (top) fin and that looks female. However, it also has a big anal (bottom) fin that is characteristic of males.

The fish on the right has a slightly longer dorsal fin that could be a young male. However, it has a small rounded anal fin that looks like a female.

That's weird.
How big are the fish?

The fish on the left has a small round dorsal (top) fin and that looks female. However, it also has a big anal (bottom) fin that is characteristic of males.

The fish on the right has a slightly longer dorsal fin that could be a young male. However, it has a small rounded anal fin that looks like a female.

That's weird.
How big are the fish?
around 2-3 inches

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back