Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guppy_molly_lover

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As i asked b4 are all the Gouramis the same? like i know they have diff colors cuz i have a neon and some sort of red that is terning neon in some spots! well how do i tell the sex? how do they mate?

ok: i had on the neon one first for 1 week and just today *11/10/03* i got my red one, and we added him 20 mins after the bag floated with him and all the other new fish, ok the neon one started to chase the new red Gourami and they seem fine now but every time the red Gourami doesnt pay atention the my neon one the neon one swims up to the red one then acks dead, like he is floating on his side! now i see he is floating and now he is swishing his body back and forth at the red Gourami! what is he/she doing? can you help me sex my 2 Gourami? please help!!!! :-(

Can you please specify what you mean by the question "Are all Gouramis the same?". You mean do both sexes look similar? It depends on the breed of Gourami: Some, like Dwarf Gouramis, have a clear difference between the sexes, while Blue Gouramis, for examples, look more similar. There are also differences in temper between different Gourami breeds: Blue and Dwarf Gouramis tend to be more territorial, aggressive in average, and Pearl and Honey Gouramis somewhat more peaceful.

Hi there. You probably have dwarf gouramis, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by them being "the same" - but it sounds like yes, yours are the same (both Dwarfs), just different color varieties - there are several, neon, flame, powder blue, etc. I'm going to suggest now that you take the new gourami back to the store as soon as you can. Two male dwarf gouramis won't get along - they're very territorial and aggressive towards their own species. This is what makes me think you have two males (besides the fact that females are less common in stores). Females wouldn't be read or neon either, they're silverish and much less bright in color than males. Also a telltale sign is the dorsal fin - it will have a pointed end in males, so you can check that to make sure. The behavior your neon is exhibiting is sort of how they "size each other up". They probably start nipping and fighting after "floating".. that's usually how these things go. I learned the hard way not to have 2 male Dwarfs together, so if possible, please seperate them - one will end up getting injured which can lead to disease and even death.

ok what i mean is..... are all gouramis the same?

um i cant move one of my gouramis b/c i dont have a big anuff tank for tham! and my mom HATES animals sooo she wont let me get a new tank..... sooooo i guess they will just have to live with each other for now!! they dont seem to bother each other but they do chase and float like they are dead still!!!! can some one please tell me what they are doing?

Do you mean do all Gouramis look the same, act the same, or what? There are different Gourami species that look and act more or less different. Some are small, some bigger.

If your fish just keeps floating his belly up, sounds like he's not doing so good. If they are both still alive, and you have no other tank, you should return one of them to the fish store you got them from.

Sinuhe said:
Do you mean do all Gouramis look the same, act the same, or what? There are different Gourami species that look and act more or less different. Some are small, some bigger.

If your fish just keeps floating his belly up, sounds like he's not doing so good. If they are both still alive, and you have no other tank, you should return one of them to the fish store you got them from.
No no they arnt floating belly up! When they go near each other they just start floating on there side... then chase each other but they are doing fine! :lol:

If you have some plants or other decorations in your tank that they can go to get away they should be fine. I have two dwarf gouramis in my tank, one is a flame and the other a regular dwarf. They take turns chasing each other around but do no real harm. When one gets tired of the game it just swims down in a plant and the game is over.

Good luck!

As I tried to explain in my earlier reply, the behavior you're watching is aggressive. That is how they start to fight. Anytime your dwarfs encounter each other they're going to do this - they won't stop. However, you tank may be big enough for them... just keep an eye on it. I'd still suggest you take the new one back to the store though.

juliethegr8t said:
As I tried to explain in my earlier reply, the behavior you're watching is aggressive. That is how they start to fight. Anytime your dwarfs encounter each other they're going to do this - they won't stop. However, you tank may be big enough for them... just keep an eye on it. I'd still suggest you take the new one back to the store though.
my petsmart wont take fish back! well i have a 20g not a 29g

Most reactions

Back