Gouramis & guppies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tanker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We went into a lfs this weekend and were looking at some lovely guppies. We asked about them, and were told that our dwarf gourami would eat them. He doesn't bother our neons or phantom tetras.

I thought the rtbs would be more of a problem, but he behaves himself as well.

Any thoughts would be good,

Thanks, Chris

Red-tailed black sharks are a problem because they can mistake trailing fins for invertebrates and they are also highly territorial. Dwarf gouramis eating guppies? Can't quite see it myself. Gouramis are also highly territorial but a guppy is a 6th the size of a gourami and wouldn't pose much threat.

I'm intending to put a refugee guppy from one tank into my gourami tank and it didn't even occur to me to worry (they are pearl gouramis, but they have been rather aggressive to their own kind in the past).

Personally, I'd risk it but I wouldn't get a lot of male guppies - guppies are more of a danger to each other than any other species, I reckon.

Hmm. I don't think I could put any of the gouramis I've ever had in with guppies. In fact, I find there are few fish who can resist the guppies' bright, flashy tails, including, as Alien Anna has said, other guppies.

Gouramis should be ok with guppies but guppies are not ok with bettas. ;)

In the past I have had 3 male guppies in a tank with 2 dwarf gouramis, one male one female. The male gourami is super-testosterone charged, he is always chasing the female around the tank but never pays attention to the guppies - the only problem with them is each other. If your LFS tries to tell you that having just males together without females to distract them is going to be OK, please ignore them! One of mine just bullied each other 2 to death which was a shame because they were really beautiful.

Most reactions

trending

Back