Gouramie Members Inventory.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My Name: Tim Ball
My Gouramie: two Dwarfs
Tankmates of My Gouramie: Tiger, green tiger, rosy, & cherry barbs. Also two plecos
Harmony in tank: So far so good. The Gourami's are new to the tank, but the barbs do not have an issue are are not being mean!
I Feed: Tropical flake food, and the odd frozen foods like blood word etc
My water temp: ~26 C
My Water pH: Unknown
I have bred My Fish: No
Number of eggs: Not Applicable
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: None to date
How I treated the disease/Illness: Not Applicable
Current age of Gouramie: less than 1 month!
Other points of interest I have observed: nothing out of the ordinary at the moment, but its early days!

My Name: Ludwig Venter
My Gouramie: Giant Gouramie
Tankmates of My Gouramie: Oscars, Plecostumus, Convicts, Rosy Barbs, Raphaelis, and Pangasius.
Harmony in tank: Chaotic…. He picked one of the Albino Oscars and is harassing him to the extent that the Oscar has no scales left on one side of the body. I have now removed to Giant Gouramie to a tank of its own
I Feed: Mostly cichlid pellets with occasional Frozen Bloodworms, Peas and cucumber.
My water temp: 24 to 26 Deg C.
My Water pH: 7.2
Current age of Gouramie: 2 years.
Other points of interest I have observed: I think that the fish would probably have been less aggressive if I had more than one in that tank….
Position in tank: Mostly tend to occupy the top 3/4's of the tank....

Pics of my Gouramie:

SDC11875.jpg

SDC11831.jpg

SDC11855.jpg

My Name: TJ
My Gouramie: Opaline
Tankmates: black widow tetra, red eye tetra, green corys, pim pictus
Harmony in tank: the two females occasionally bully the male but nothing thats caused any damage
I Feed: flake,blood worm,tubifex
My water temp: 27 Degrees
My Water pH: 7.0
Number of eggs: N/A
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: Nothing
How I treated the disease/Illness: N/A
Current age of Gouramie: 12 months
Other points: I prefer to keep 2 fems to 1 male as the males are normally a little boystrious but with these it's the other way round =D
Position in tank: Middle to top, it's rare i see them at the bottom
Pics of my Gouramie: I still havent learnt how to upload to bare with me!

My Gouramie: 2 x Pearl
Tankmates: 6 Female bettas, 1 male betta, 1 humbug cat, 3 peppered corys
Harmony in tank: They nudge each other like kids but i've never seen any anger
I Feed: flake,blood worm,tubifex
My water temp: 26 Degrees
My Water pH: 7.1
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: Nothing
How I treated the disease/Illness: N/A
Current age of Gouramie: 12 months
Other points: I did have 3 sadly one died on the day of a tank move, i think it was simply stress, they seem a timid type of gouramie and have very shy days.
Position in tank: middle to bottom, unlike most i hardly see them near the top

My Gouramie: Honey
Tankmates: pearl and opaline gourmies
Harmony in tank: I found the opaline very nippy towards two of the honeys and eventually moved them to there own tank
I Feed: n/a
My water temp: 27 Degrees
My Water pH: 7.4
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: Sadly all 3 honeys died one unexplained, one due to fin rot that got so bad over night i couldn't save him the third i took to a LFS he put some ulcer cream on and it died that night.
How I treated the disease/Illness: I used interpet fit rot and fungus but found it just slowed the fitrot down
Current age of Gouramie: no older than 7 months
Other points: I found they would get quite tired and rest almost on there sides during the day which i hear is quite normal
Position in tank: bottom to middle

My Name: AstonN24Vantage
My Gourami: Dwarf
Tankmates: 2 angels, cory cat and a few tetras
Harmony in tank: she's very quiet and shy... likes to hide. she looks like a gourami and eats like a gourami but i'm not completely convinced that she is one. not even a bit outgoing
I feed: flakes, tubifex, brine shrimp
My water temp: about 75º
pH: 7.3
I have bred my fish: No
number of eggs: N/A
Diseases/Illnesses: Nothing to report either than she is very shy
How i treated Illnesses: N/A
Current age of gourami: atleast a year
Other Points: Very shy
Position in tank: bottom, sometimes comes to middle
Pic of gourami: none yet, but i'll get some.

RIP 9/15/10.

My Name: Martin Pressling
My Gouramie: Pearl Gouramis (1 male, 2 female)
Tankmates of My Gouramie: Harlequin rasbora, neons, BN plecos, Cory Sterbai, Pepper Cory, Cherry and Amano shrimps
Harmony in tank: No problems with any other fish. The male BN sometimes chases off anyone that gets near his foo (incl the big male gourami). Male can sometimes chase females
I Feed: Mostly ordinary tetramin flakes with occasional Frozen Bloodworms, Peas and cucumber.
My water temp: 26-27 Deg C.
My Water pH: 8
Current age of Gouramie: 6 months with me. Male is quite old as he was a big boy when I got him
Other points of interest I have observed: They sure can flick water a long way at feeding time!
Position in tank: They love hanging around the back of the water inlet. One female loves being in the dense foliage and the male just poses in tank - top to mid centre
Pics of my Gouramie: coming soon but some to browse in my signature

My Name: Carl
My Gourami: 5 Chocolate Gouramis
Tankmates of My Gourami:Rummynose Rasbora, Dwarf Badis, Pygmy Cory, mystery Oto, Clown Killifish and some L333 pleco babies
Harmony in tank: Peacefull... Extermely peaceful and shy
I Feed: Live Bloodworm
My water temp: 25 to 28 Deg C.
Current age of Gourami: Around 6 months I think
Other points of interest I have observed: The Chocolates like to touch the hot part of the heater with their mouths

Here are 2 of the 5 Chocolate Gouramis
P1020228.jpg

My Name: Rachelle
My Gouramie: 1 Pearl Gourami
Tankmates of My Gouramie: 9 Female betta and 2 Laetacara araguaiae
Harmony in tank: Peaceful to other members of the tank. Originally had 2 (sexed as females in the LFS) which I had to separate as one was being bullied badly. The other is in my dads 180 ltr and ignores all other tank mates which include (neon tetra, ember tetra, glowlight tetra, lampeye Killies, corys, otos and a pair of Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis).
I Feed: Aquarian Tropical Flake food, frozen blood worm, mosquito larvae, daphnia, etc. Cucumber, peas and other veg.
My water temp: 25 C
My Water pH: 6.4
Diseases/Illnesses experienced: One was infected with fish lice when I bought them (couldn't see it at the LFS) which I had to physically remove as it was non responsive to treatment. No long lasting effects for the fish.
How I treated the disease/Illness: Parasite control, reverted to physically removing lice.
Current age of Gouramie: Unknown, I've had them for about 3 months.
Other points of interest I have observed: Inspects her tankmates and also new things in the tank, i.e. my hand when maintaining the tank, with her "feelers".
Position in tank: Mainly at the top, but I've seen her in all areas of the tank.
Pics of my Gourami: N/A

My Name: Harlequins.

My Gouramie: 2 x powder blue dwarfs M & F

Tankmates of My Gouramie: none

Harmony in tank: Totally peaceful,no aggression at the moment.

I Feed: Mostly Tetra prima mini granules,flakes,defrosted bbs & bloodworm.algae wafers.

My water temp: 26 Deg C.

My Water pH: 7.8-8

I have bred My Fish: not yet

Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: None

Current age of Gouramie: Unsure,just got them.

Other points: The dwarfs seem quite active,especially the male,he's very curious whats going on,and likes to stare out the side of the tank at my cockatiels :lol:

Position in tank: My dwarfs hang out mid to bottom of the tank.

Pics of my Gouramie:-will try to get a better pic soon.

My Name: Dean

My Gourami: 2 dwarfs, both male, one powder blue and the other orange and blue

Tankmates of my Gourami: 4 zebras, 2 neon red dwarfs and 6 neon tetras

Harmony in tank: Mostly peaceful, although the blue dwarf seems to be turning into a bit of a bully

I Feed: 'Pets at Home' Love fish trpoical flakes, and we have tried some cucumber which they loved

Water Temp: Was at 24.5c but currently at 25.5c due to fish illness

Water P.H.: ~7.6

I have bred my fish: No

Illnesses to date: Fin rot in powder blue dwarf

Treatment of illness: Undergoing. Just normal add to tank treatment.

Current age: Unsure

Other points: Since the powder blue dwarf became ill, the other blue dwarf is bullying every gourami in the tank

Position in tank: anywhere

My Name: Matt
My Gouramie: Chocolate Gouramie
Tankmates of My Gouramie: Mircorasboras (Boraras Brigittae), pygmy corys (Corydoras Pygmaeus), otos (Otocinclus sp.), Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario). Blue Pearl shrimp (Neocaridina Zhangjiensis sp. 'blue pearl')
Harmony in tank: Peaceful. All tank mates carefully chosen so that chocs felt unthreatened. Blue pearls were regularly, they still thrived though as they breed so prolifically. They are definitely happier when in a group, and also when they have peaceful tankmates. I had an endler in with them for a while and they were quite skittish and hid a lot during this time.
I Feed: Staple food was a mix of frozen fare (bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp, baby brine shrimp, cyclops)
and an army of dwarf shrimp (~200) for them to snack on, so they had a continuous supply of live food.
Live daphnia occasionally.
My water temp: 26 Deg C. They do not tolerate lower temperatures. I lost all the fish when my central heating was turned off during a winter holiday and the temp in the tank dropped to about 15deg where the heater couldn't keep up.
My Water pH: 6ish (I think ph is fairly meaningless, more important is a stable TDS. Mine was about 100ppm)
I have bred My Fish: Spawned and held brood in mouth, lost fry though.
Number of eggs: unknown
Diseases/Illnesses experienced: Bought in 2 batches. First batch all healthy no signs of illness. Second batch all died within 2 months of purchase from what appeared to be a bacterial infection.
How I treated the disease/Illness: Used Esha, moved to QT tank, but with no luck.
Current age of Gouramie: no longer have them.
Position in tank: All of tank.
Other points of interest I have observed:
plants:
A lot of sites tell you to have lots of floating plants for cover. A choc gourami's definition of cover is that when you look straight down onto the tank from above they can not be seen. So, while floating plants were good, any large leaved plants (eg amazon swords and anubias) were also perfect for them to 'hide' under. While hiding they can be seen clearly from the front viewing pane of the tank

water chemistry:
The tank was run on 100% RO. TDS going in was about 10ppm. I used to water change enough to keep the Tank around 100ppm tds. They will tolerate higher TDS (eg London tap water of ~350ppm TDS) without any issue if acclimatised slowly (ideally upon importing and slowly over a number of days\weeks by your LFS).

I spent a long time tinkering with peat, indian almond leaves and alder cones in varying combinations. After several months I slowly stopped adding these as I do not think they made any real difference.

I got fed up with the hard work in balancing the tank between blackwater and planted tank so started to phase in some (350ppm) tap water at each water change and some extra ferts. It was a few weeks into this that they spawned. I do not think it was the increased TDS that caused the spawning, but the increased water quality that was a result of the increased plant health.

Coloration:
They are beautiful to look at, when healthy the chocolate is very dark, and the bands go a very bright gold colour. Mine took about 3 months to colour up completely. When stressed the colours go blotchy. When ready to breed the gold and chocolate was complemented with red tinges on the body and fins.

Behaviour:
They continously circled each other. Sometimes quite subtly (slight body twists while a couple of feet away form each other). This never ceased to captivate me, it was as if life was one long dance class! There was a definite pecking order and I got a sense they were all working as one unit on a number of occasions. For example, when one had fry in her mouth all the others were like a swat team circling round her protecting her at all times.

As well as change in colour they exhibit different behaviour when stressed. They will lie on their side and flutter like a leaf. If you have leaf litter in the tank (beech is my leaf litter of choice as it does not affect the water parameters and takes 2-3 months before it starts to decompose significantly) it is very hard to spot the fish.

Stock:
It is very important that the LFS takes good care of these fish prior to your purchase.
If your LFS chucks them straight into tap water upon import then I do not like your chances of keeping them alive more than a few months after purchase.

Pics of my Gouramie:

http://www.a1matt.co.uk/phpAlbum/main.php?cmd=image&var1=forums%2F160l%2FFish+860.jpg&var2=700_85

http://www.a1matt.co.uk/phpAlbum/main.php?cmd=image&var1=forums%2F160l%2FFish+769.jpg&var2=700_85

hiding in clear view:
http://www.a1matt.co.uk/phpAlbum/main.php?cmd=image&var1=forums%2F160l%2FFish+1151.jpg&var2=700_85

starting too get stressed (flaring fins, slightly faded colours):
http://www.a1matt.co.uk/phpAlbum/main.php?cmd=imageview&var1=forums%2F160l%2FFish+1150.jpg

with bacterial infection (see blotchiness), dead shortly after:
http://www.a1matt.co.uk/phpAlbum/main.php?cmd=image&var1=forums%2F160l%2FFish+1144.jpg&var2=700_85

too many alder cones in the filter...
http://www.a1matt.co.uk/phpAlbum/main.php?cmd=image&var1=forums%2F160l%2FFish+883.jpg&var2=700_85

My Name: Chanin Thorut

My Gouramis: 80 Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila),50 up Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis vittata) from many locallities of my country, 8 Threestripe Gourami(Trichopsis schalleri), 14 Samurai Gourami (Sphaerichthys vaillanti), 11 Chocolate Gourami (Sphaerichthys osphromenoides), 3 Parosphromenus paludicola, 4 Spike tail Gourami(Pseudosphromenus dayi), 5 Cupang Gourami (Pseudosphromenus cupanus) 1 Paradise Gourami (Macropodus opercularis opercularis)

Tankmates of My Gouramie: Betta pi, Betta prima, small cleanner shrimp.

Harmony in tank:
Most of them are quite peaceful... only some alfra male Croaking Gourami that chas other male, also some female Samurai Gourami is quite agressive to each other.

I Feed: Mostly ordinary Frozen Bloodworms and a few tetra bit.

My water temp:
27-29 Deg C.

My Water pH:
6 for peat swamp dwellers and 7 to 7.5 for other.

I have bred My Fish: Not yet

Number of eggs:
Not Applicable

Diseases/Ilnesses experienced:
None to date

Current age of Gouramie:
few months.

Other points of interest I have observed:
Unusually, the female 'Samurai Gourami' is much more colourful than male, yet they seem to be the alfra of the group, instead of male as in most of Labyrinths, they fight each other to collect the males for her harem boy!

Position in tank: The most shy is Paroshromenus paludicola, also Sparkling Gourami, they prefer to hide in aquatic plants. Why other are quite docile, especially Croaking Gourami that always at front to ask for food.

Pics of my Gouramie:

Croaking Gourami from Northern Thailand.
IMG_8659.jpg

Plakim_4.jpg

Croaking Gourami from North eastern Thailand.
Trichopsis_New_06.jpg

Trichopsis_09.jpg

Croaking Gourami from Eastern Thailand.
Krim_08.jpg

Croaking Gourami from Central Thailand.
Krim_12.jpg

Croaking Gourami from Ranong, Southern Thailand.
Krim_11.jpg

Croaking Gourami from Song Khla, Southern Thailand.
Krim_04.jpg

Sparkling Gourami
IMG_9031.jpg

Threestripe Gourami
IMG_9577.jpg

A_Khao_Sming_5Oct54_02.jpg

Samurai Gourami
Samurai_Gourami_39.jpg

Samurai_34.jpg

Chocolate Gourami
Chocolate_Gourami_7.jpg

Parosphromenus paludicola
Parasphromenus_1.jpg

Spike tail Gourami
IMG_9447.jpg

Cupang Gourami
Pseudosphromenus_2.jpg

Paradise Gourami
Paradise_3.jpg

Paradise_4.jpg

My Name: Majjie
My Gourami: Trichogaster leeri: Lace Gourami (I think that's a much more descriptive and accurate name than Pearl) - two now but up to five in the past (in a 300 litre tank)
Tankmates of My Gourami: honey gourami, various tetras, rasboras, danios, corys, chain loaches - has varied over the years
Harmony in tank: No problem with other species; males tend to chase off the honey gouramis (but without any problem); absolute nightmare when it comes to getting on with each other - especially males. Part of the problem is that lfs tend to stock them so young that they're impossible to sex, so you can end up with more than one male by accident
I Feed: Variety of flakes and granular food, live daphnia and bloodworm - they're not fussy eaters, unless they're ill
My water temp: 24 to 26 Deg C.
My Water pH: approx. 7.0 - kept that way by filtering some of the top up water through peat (tap water is pH 7.5 - 8.0). That's for some of the other fish, though - the gouramis would be fine in the tap water pH.
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: Prone to excess slime when stressed and can also get white lumps - bacterial infection I think
How I treated the disease/Illness: Interpet's Anti Slime and Velvet No.7 (if the slime gets very bad - but better to relieve the stress); the bacterial disease will cure itself if the fish are healthy
Current age of Gourami: female 5 years, male <1 year (in my tank)
Other points of interest I have observed:Stressed Lace Gouramis rock backwards and forwards on the spot - a sign that something needs to be done, otherwise they will produce excess slime and go downhill fast. It's often said that Lace Gouramis are peaceful - but the males are far from it, to each other, especially if introduced to the tank at different times ... and the females will fight amongst themselves if there is no male present. They're not brave fish and are easily spooked - but are aggressive to each other. I fondly imagined that my older female would be boss over a young male - but after a few months he's started to boss her about all the time. I will add another female - when I can find a fish large enough to be sure she is female!
Position in tank: Mostly at the top but will swim around picking at plants and looking for food - and will feed at the bottom, if that's where the food is
Pics of my Gourami:

The young male looking beautiful:
MyloB.jpg

Both of them in a rare moment when he's not chasing her:
MiriamMylo3b.jpg

My Name:[font="Verdana] Nikki Froelich[/font][/color]
[b]My Gouramie:[/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] 1 Dwarf named tiger. I don't know if it's a male or female.[/font][/color]
[b]Tankmates of My Gouramie:[/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] 6 neon tetras, 1 otto[/font][/color]
[b]Harmony in tank:[/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] peaceful[/font][/color]
[b]I Feed:[/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] omega one super color tropical flakes every day, freeze dried bloodworms 3 times a week[/font][/color]
[b]My water temp:[/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] 74-78 depending on seasons[/font][/color]
[b]My Water pH:[/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] 7.2[/font][/color]
[b]I have bred My Fish:[/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] No[/font][/color]
[b]Number of eggs:[/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] Not Applicable[/font][/color]
[b]Diseases/Ilnesses experienced:[/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] None to date[/font][/color]
[b]How I treated the disease/Illness:[/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] Not Applicable[/font][/color]
[b]Current age of Gouramie:[/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] I bought him 2 months ago[/font][/color]
[b]Other points of interest I have observed: [/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana]He likes the bubbles but not where the filter flows. Every time I walk into the room he hides in the log or in the bamboo. He also does this if I walk up to the tank too fast. I have to walk up very slowly or else he gets scared and hides.[/font][/color]
[b]Position in tank:[/b][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] He normally swims in the middle of the tank, but he seeps in the log on the bottom. He also likes to hide in the bamboo[/font]

Pics of my Gouramie:
6527341721_24dee79329_m.jpg

Tiger
6541470545_3fc8d98485_m.jpg

Reflection
6541471291_9b2640792a_m.jpg

His tank before I moved the rasboras. The bubbles are turned off in this picture. They normally form a wall on the back.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back