Gouramie Members Inventory.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
After discussion with Gouramie members, we have decided to start this topic to "compare notes" and work out a uniform characteristical pattern for the different types of Anabantoids to use as reference for any potential Gouramie (anabantoid) keepers....

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT ON ANY OF THE POSTS MADE IN THIS TOPIC IN THIS TOPIC.... You can start a new topic if you want to discuss any of the posted information in this thread. This topic is exclussively to post your comments in the format provided.
Even if your Gouramie is mentioned previously, Post your own experience in any case wether it is exactly the same as the info supplied by the previous poster on that type of Anabantoid..... I hope we can establish a fruitful database from this info.

My Name: Ludwig Venter
My Gouramie: Kissing Gouramie
Tankmates of My Gouramie: Angels, Plecostumus, Spanner Barbs, Rosy Barbs, Corys, Discus, Kribensis, Shrimp, Raphaelis, Platies, Rio Tetra.
Harmony in tank: Peacefull... no threats. (however... the Kissers were a bit of a problem themselves in the beginning - Not aggressive, but a nuisance in trying to get slime off the skins of other fish, but that has now stopped.
I Feed: Mostly ordinary tetramin flakes with occasional Frozen Bloodworms, Peas and cucumber.
My water temp: 24 to 26 Deg C.
My Water pH: 7.2
I have bred My Fish: No
Number of eggs: Not Applicable
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: None to date
How I treated the disease/Illness: Not Applicable
Current age of Gouramie: 3 years.
Other points of interest I have observed:"Kissing" activities seem to (normally) take place directly after every feeding.
Position in tank: My Kissers tend to occupy the top 3/4's of the tank.... Allthough I notice they sleep on the floor.
Pics of my Gouramie:
Show006.jpg

Show017.jpg

Depending on how it goes, I'll decide if we'll pin this topic for reference or not.

My Name: James Fish :D
My Gouramie: Golden Gourami.
Tankmates of My Gouramie: Kribensis, Blue German Rams, RTB Shark, Black Phantom Tetras, Burmese Border Loaches, Odessa Barbs.
Harmony in tank: Fine. No agression from the Gourami, or agression towards it. Slight aggresion between some of the others but non relating to the Goldy.
I Feed: Frozen brine shrimp, King British mini pellets, Nutrafin complete flake food.
My water temp: 27 Degrees
My Water pH: 6.8
Number of eggs: N/A
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: Nothing
How I treated the disease/Illness: N/A
Current age of Gouramie: Not sure, but it is fully grown. 1-2 years?
Other points: The first fish in the tank. Been fine throughout, never had any trouble with him/her. It is a fully grown adult that I recieved from someone who was quitting keeping community anymore.
Position in tank: Mostly at the top skimming the surface. At the bottom when an algae wafer or vegetable matter is on the gravel.
Pics of my Gouramie: It has matured more since this photo, the top half of his body has become more black patterned, lovely!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My Name: Twinklecaz

My Gouramie: 2 Golden Honeys (natural kind I think).

Tankmates of My Gouramie: 3 male Platys

Harmony in tank: Fine. Platys and Gouramis virtually ignore each other (though I would be interested to see what one certain little sod Platy would be like if he didn't have the other 2 Platys to pick on)

I feed: 2 different flake goods and veg (mainly peas to far).

My water temp: 24-25 Degrees

My Water pH: 7.3 - 7.5

I have bred My Fish: No but the male did build a bubble nest. A shock as he was supposed to be female!

Number of eggs: I don't think there were any, just the nest

Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: Nothing specific. Though the female (if she is,still confused on that one) seemed a bit sickly when I get her though.

How I treated the disease/Illness: Interpret Liquisil General Tonic (thoroughly recommend this if your fish just seem a bit "ill" but nothing that specific.

Current age of Gouramie: Not sure but suspect the female (again, if she is a female) is quite young.

Other points: Totally love these fish. The female is a bit dull in colour but I'm hoping this will improve as I've had longer (only had them just over 2 weeks) and she matures. The male has developed lovely yellows though and even has flecks of green/blue in some lights.

Position in tank: Everywhere!

Pics of my Gouramie:

Scarlett

Ruby

I think the top one is the male. Yes he is called Scarlett lol.

My Name: Harlequins.

My Gouramie: 5 Sparkling gouramis

Tankmates of My Gouramie: Harlequin rasboras,ember tetras,glowlight tetras,black neon tetra,panda corys,trilineatus corys,albino corys,skunk cories,gold laser corys & black schultzi corys.

Harmony in tank: Totally peaceful,no aggression from the sparklers or towards them from their tank mates.

I Feed: Mostly Tetra prima mini granules,flakes,defrosted bbs & bloodworm.algae wafers,peas & broad beans.occasionally tubifex

My water temp: 24 to 25.4 Deg C.

My Water pH: 7.8-8

I have bred My Fish: Yes,i seen fry 10/8/10.video below :)

Number of eggs: no eggs spotted,but tons of fry.

Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: None

Current age of Gouramie: Unsure,but think they were youngsters when bought 2 months ago,has they have grown considerably since then.

Other points: The sparklers in certain light have amazing colours,varying from green/red/gold and have amazing blue rings around their eyes. - Started hearing them croaking now.

Position in tank: My sparklers tend to hang out in the top right hand corner under silk plants i have dangling there,although they do venture out,especially at feeding time with go down to the floor and eat with the corys.

Pics of my Gouramie:-will try to get a better pic soon.

Edited to add this short video of 2 of my sparklers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZhGsJKjv6Y

Edited again to add breeding info and fry video :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1fHZ7wzJ7I

Name: Liam Manning
Gouramie: Golden Gourami.
Tankmates of My Gouramie: Upside Down Catfish, Bristle Nose Catfish, Red Tailed Black Shark, Tiger Barb
Harmony in tank: Slightly agressive towards the female golden gourami at feeding time and sometimes chases tiger barb.
I Feed: HBH tropical colour crumbles and frozen brine shrimp
My water temp: 25.5 Degrees
My Water pH: neutral/slightly acid
I have bred My Fish: Not as of yet
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: N/A
Current age of Gouramie: about 1.5 years almost fully grown
Other points: my fav fish he is very freindly and can shake hands :)
Position in tank: swims throughout the entire tank (ie all water layers)
Pics of my Gouramie: this is a pic of my male golden gourami taken about 2 weeks ago :)

P1000913.jpg

P1000985.jpg

P1000948.jpg

My name: Ludwig Venter

My Gouramie: Blue Gouramie....AKA. 3 spot Gouramie....AKA Cosby Gouramie.... AKA..Opaline Gouramie... AKA Trichogaster Trichopterus.

Tankmates of my Gouramie: Tank specific, but have previously kept them from Oscars to guppies.

Harmonie in tank: I've only seen these aggressive when alone in a tank with a female during breeding rituals.

I feed: Mostly ordinary Tetramin flakes, but ocasionally supplement with chopped earthworm or bloodworm.

My water temp: Round about 27 degrees.

My water pH: Neutral(ish)

I have bred my fish: Yes

Number of eggs: More than 1000... ( but only about 900 reared)

Diseases/Illnesses experienced: Nil

Current age of Gouramie: I do not keep any currently. but my breeding pair were about 18 months old when breeding

Other points of interest I have observed: They will pair up with Gloden Gouramies and have (around) a 50% split in fry.... Frankly... they are the same species of fish.

Position in tank: They are mostly near the surface.

Pics of my Gouramie: These pics are of the fry (about 6 months old) and almost adults at the time. - I also moved some of them to outside ponds, where they were prolific.

Blue Gouramies in pond
SDC10513.jpg

Blue Gouramies in Tank
SDC12374.jpg

Blue Gouramies in Tank (large)
SDC12371.jpg

[can I add more than one? can I add ones that have already been here? ps im gonna haha]

My Name: MewMew42 [Emma]
My Gourami: Blue gouramis [pair M+F]
Tankmates of My Gourami: pearl and gold gouramis lots of corys, an angel fish female bettas and odds and ends, general community
Harmony in tank: they are full grown and the male is an awful bully to my other gouramis, mainly the gold and the female blue
I Feed: JBL novo grano colour, they also like to run around with tetra sinking wafers in their mouths! plus live bloodworm
My water temp: 26C ish
My Water pH: about 6.8-7
I have bred My Fish: Nope
Number of eggs: NA
How I treated the disease/Illness: NA
Current age of Gourami: Ive had them over a year now, but im not sure on the exact age
Other points of interest: will only bully other gouramis, other fish seem to be very safe from him!
Pics of my Gourami: the infamous male :p
xm7vc5.jpg

My Gourami: gold gouramis [pair M+F]
Tankmates of My Gourami: pearl and blue gouramis lots of corys, an angel fish female bettas and odds and ends
Harmony in tank: they are only 3-4" long and are really peaceful towards everything
I Feed: JBL novo grano colour and live bloodworm
Current age of Gourami: Ive had them just under a year now, but im not sure on the exact age
Other points of interest:
Pics of my Gourami: female
2m31vo1.jpg

My Gourami: Honey gouramis
Tankmates of My Gourami: pearl and blue gouramis lots of corys, an angel fish female bettas and odds and ends, general community
Harmony in tank: very shy and peaceful
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: mystery deaths, I only have 1 male left too date, one died mysteriously and another in transit to a new house =[ in the past i have had beautiful yellow ones [about 5] and they all disappeared...
Current age of Gourami: unknown
Other points of interest: males need a female to show off to, to bring out their lovely colours!
Pics of my Gourami: not a chance lol hes in the back somewhere!

My Gourami: pearl gouramis [2]
Tankmates of My Gourami: gold and blue gouramis lots of corys, an angel fish female bettas and odds and ends, general community
Harmony in tank: about 10cm long, they love to stick togther and get along fine with all the other gouramis, very peaceful
Current age of Gourami: Ive had them just under a year now, but im not sure on the exact age
Other points of interest: are left alone by the big blue gourami!
Pics of my Gourami:
2wh12zb.jpg

My Gourami: dwarf gouramis
Tankmates of My Gourami: not sure at the time, might have been guppies, platies etc, nothing too exciting!
Harmony in tank: lovely and placid
I Feed: nutrafin flakes and frozen bloodworms
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: again mystery deaths, they kind of go a little pale and a bit lumpy then die....
How I treated the disease/Illness: Not able to
Current age of Gourami: only lasted a couple of months in an established tank
Other points of interest: not hardy =[
Pics of my Gourami: none from that time =[

My Gourami: sparkling gouramis
Tankmates of My Gourami: 5 purple harlequins
Harmony in tank: lovely to everthing, very shy, need lots of plants to come out, enjoy floating plants
I Feed: JBL novobetta [its smaller] and live bloodworm, they are quite shy to com to the surface so i make the little flakes sink and they gobble them up
Current age of Gourami: unknown, nearly at full size though
Other points of interest: the coaking!! they sounds like a little woodpecker!
Pics of my Gourami:
9a3j1z.jpg

u]hopefully soon to have [/u]
My Gourami: licorice gourami
Tankmates of My Gourami: sparkling gouramis and purple harelequins
Harmony in tank:
I Feed: JBL novobetta and live bloodworm
I have bred My Fish:
Number of eggs:
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced:
How I treated the disease/Illness:
Current age of Gourami:
Other points of interest:
Pics of my Gourami:

My name: essjay (Sue)
My gouramis: pair yellow honeys
Tankmates of my gouramis: cardinal tetras, eques pencifish, bolivian rams, dwarf chain loach, amano shrimps
Harmony in the tank: no aggression towards other fish, male chases female a bit but no harm done to her.
I feed: a mixture of tetra prima granules, tetra min flakes, frozen live food (black mosquito larvae, daphnia, brine shrimp) and peas.
My water temp: 26C
My water pH: 7.2
I have bred my fish: not this pair, but honeys I've had over the last 15 years have spawned - but in a community tank, the eggs didn't last long.
Number of eggs: impossible to say
Diseases/illnesses experienced: none with this pair. With previous honeys, they would be fine for a few years, then just die with no symptoms - maybe old age?
How did I treat the diesease/illness: n/a
Current age of gouramis: I've had them for six months, and were very tiny when bought (shop said they shouldn't have been sent out at that size!). Fully grown now.
Position in tank: the male stays near the surface, except when chasing the female, the female swims all over the tank
Other points of interest: these fish seem to be OK as a male/female pair. The male does chase the female, but he doesn't harm her beyond the odd tail nip. In the past when I had 1m 2f, I had more trouble with the females squabbling.
Pics: still trying. They won't keep still.

Edit - finally got some pics.

Male honey gourami
malehoneygourami.jpg

Female honey gourami
femalehoneygourami.jpg

My name: coldcazzie (Caz)
My gouramis: 1 male lace/pearl gourami
Tankmates of my gouramis: 12 rummy nose tetras, 1 red tailed sand loach
Harmony in the tank: very harmonious now he's killed all the others (had 4 to start with). Sometimes bickers with the loach over flake, but that's more the loach picking a fight than the gourami!
I feed: tetramin flakes and sinking tablets, king british mini pellets, live bloodworms/daphnia/brine shrimp occasionally.
My water temp: 25-6C
My water pH: usually around 6.4
I have bred my fish: not at all
Diseases/illnesses experienced: nothing so far
How did I treat the diesease/illness: n/a
Current age of gouramis: Young.
Position in tank: all over - no preference for top/middle/bottom
Other points of interest: his anal fin is starting to lengthen, hoping it will start to split into the traily bits soon! :)
Pics: no good ones yet.

My Name: Beldaniel {note this includes all three tanks}
My Gouramies: Dwarf,Honey,Trichogaster Variants,kissing and chocolate
Tankmates of My Gouramie: Angels,BN catfish, cory cats, rummynose/neon/rosy tetras,kuhli loaches,ram dwarfs and harlequin rasbora {this is just Temporary stock at this moment)
Harmony in tank: peaceful, rarely theres a little agression between Gouramis
I Feed: Bloodworms, waterfleas, flake and tablets
My water temp: 25 degrees celcius
My Water pH: 6.5-7.0
I have bred My Fish: yes
Current age of Gouramie: Oldest 7year old Kissing Gourami
Position in tank: They tend to wander at all positions of tank

My Name: Fuzzynicki
My Gouramies: Pearl/Lace trio; female Gold, female Moonlight, male Lavender
Tankmates of My Gouramie: female Angel, longfin BN catfish, Clown Pleco, Hi fin Platys, Sailfin Molly Male, dalmation Molly female
Harmony in tank: very peaceful
I Feed: Bloodworms,tubifex, tropical quartet (all frozen); Nutrifin flake, algae wafers, cucumber, courgette (zucchini)
My water temp: 26 degrees celcius
My Water pH: 6.5
Current age of Gouramie: between 3-4 years
Position in tank: Mostly at top quarter of tank, although gold female sleeps on bottom.

My Name: jo
My Gouramies: 3 x 3spot blue, 2 x dwarf, 1 x opaline
Tankmates of My Gouramie: silver shark, yoyo loach, red tailed black shark, black widow tetras, odessya barb, golden barb, weather loach, flying foxes, silvertip, albino krib, hillstream loach, plec, cory's, red fin tetra, cherry barb, apple snail, nerite snails, and a very elusive shrimp
Harmony in tank: normally peaceful
I Feed: allsorts, algea wafers, protein wafers, flake and then varying fresh and frozen worms etc when i go my lfs
My water temp: 26 degrees celcius
My Water pH: dont know, dont test it
Current age of Gouramie: about one year, dwarfs 6 months
Position in tank: all over!!!!

My Name: Stephen Harris
My Gouramie: 2 pearl gourami, 2 blue gourami, 2 golden gourami, 1 yellow gourami
Tankmates of My Gouramie:2 clown loach, 2 silver shark, 2 firemouth cichlid 1 albino cory, 1 aquatic frog, 1 common plec
Harmony in tank: Mostly peacefull but occasionally the firemouths chase the other fish around
I Feed: Mostly tetrafin (little orange things)
My water temp: 27 deg c
My Water pH: unknown
Number of eggs: Not Applicable
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: None to date
Current age of Gouramie: 2 months - 2 years
Other points of interest I have observed:eek:ccasionally my pearl gouramis swim around following each other (unsure of reson but they are the only ones that do it)
Position in tank: all over

This is going well (better than I expected), so for the time being... I'm pinning the topic and will edit it at some time to use one frame per species...

Anybody else posting... Please use one frame per species... (even if you repeat yourself)... I'll sort out (eventually) and see where there is common grounds to pinpoint certain characteristics to a given species.... But let it roll... You're doing well!!

Suppose I'd better add my Honeys aswell :good:

My Name: James Fish
My Gouramie: 2x Honey Gourami Edit: Lost one :(
Tankmates of My Gouramie: L201 Pleco (snowball), Zebra Danio, Rummy-Nosed Tetra, Neon Tetra, Glowlight Tetra, Amano Shrimp, Malaysian Trumpet Snails
Harmony in tank: I've seen the bigger of the pair chase the other. Not sure wether they are both males or not. Never see any fighting or anything really concerning. Both fine with other tankmates
I Feed: Nutrafin Complete Flake Fook, Tubifex, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Live Blood worm (occasionally)
My water temp: 26 Degrees
My Water pH: 7
Diseases/Ilnesses experienced: Dropsy
How I treated the disease/Illness: Passed away sadly.
Current age of Gouramie: Unsure, relitively young.
Other points: A nice fish, not been any trouble. Lovely red colour which would compliment any tank. They make a nice centre piece for my little community tank
Pics of my Gouramie: Not yet, but hopefully soon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back