Gourami won't eat or move

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sussexhoney

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've looking after my wife's fish while she's away. There is one honey gourami who has not eaten for about a week. He just stays in the top corner of the tank. He doesn't too pale. Certainly not at the moment. Because of the way the tank is built, he seems to have chosen this position because he is the least accessible there. I will give some background.

About two weeks ago we noticed that he was lying on the bottom of the tank seemingly gasping. We thought he was dying. We gave him a few goes in a salt bath for 20-30 mins at time and it seemed to cure him, he was swimming around again in no time. However, in the last week or so he refuses to move or eat. I do wonder whether he has adopted the position because he can't be got at there. I can't really access him without lowering the water levels. Maybe he is terrified of the salt bath. I tried to catch him a couple of days ago but he was not having any of it, he swum around the tank like lightning and then went back in the corner. Also he is right near the heater, so maybe he is just cold, but all the other fish are fine - neon tetras and harlequin rasboras. Some small catfish which I can't remember the name of. A few shrimp.

I did some tests and ph is about 8 or just over. Nitrate and nitrite are fine and normal. There is some wood in the tank, and some rocks and plants. It is pretty sparse. There is an overhead LED light, not that bright - not as bright as the last one which I think they really liked. I get the feeling they don't like this new light as much. I use an air stone once a day for a few hours.

Please bear in mind I am not a fishkeeper, I just mind the tank, so I don't know that much about it but will provide any information I can.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue with this fish?

What is the ammonia reading and temperature in the tank? Does the tank contain any air stones or bubbles?

Hi Acerrato and thank you for your response. Unfortunately the gourami died a few days ago.

In response to your questions though, the ammonia level is 0 and the temp is around 24. There is an air stone, yes, which is not on all the time but for a few hours a day. Do you think that would have had any effect?

This info is too late for the gourami, but if you ever get a sick fish, test water and post results (in numbers) and a picture of the fish here asap. Then do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate.

The following link has info about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth a read when you have spare time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back