Gourami sex?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kirsty90

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone help identify the sex of these 3 gourami for me please. From what I've read it's to do with top fin shape but someone else said colour and now I am unsure?

Attachments

• IMG_20211112_132241.jpg
    IMG_20211112_132241.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20211112_131939.jpg
    IMG_20211112_131939.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20211112_131919.jpg
    IMG_20211112_131919.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 83
All 3 are males

Females of this species (Colisa lalius) are silver and males have the bright colours. The only exception to this is cobalt blue females who are a paler blue than the males. But your fish are all males.

All 3 are males

Females of this species (Colisa lalius) are silver and males have the bright colours. The only exception to this is cobalt blue females who are a paler blue than the males. But your fish are all males.
I have smaller pale females. I know this as bought from my local fish stockist. What is a good group size male to female ratio for this species please?

The silver one in the picture is a female.

I prefer to only have 1pr (1 male & 1 female) per tank otherwise the males fight. If you have several females in a small tank, the females sometimes fight.

I was always told to have several females as male dwarfs can kill a female who isn't 'in the mood'. Do females really fight that much?

(Though having said that, I had more trouble with female honey gouramis fighting and no problems at all with a male/female pair even though they are different species)

So am I better moving two pairs to my smaller tank? Or even one pair? The three males were in when I bought the tank and no females. They don't seem to bother each other at all tbh. Once a blue moon one might nip at the other if they get really close but doesn't happen much at all.

If the tank is big enough they might be fine together. Just monitor them and if they start fighting, then separate them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back