I have a community tank with
  • Mollies
  • Platys
  • Tetras
  • Guppies
  • Mystery snails
  • Ghost shrimp
  • Common pleco
I think gourami are beautiful but I wouldn't want to put my current fish in danger. Are there any types of gourami that are 100% safe? if not, are there any other similar fish that would be?
My tank is 75 gallons and no where near "stocked" following the 1 inch per gallon rule, so size is not an issue for the most part.

Thank you.

I've kept a dwarf gourami in my community tank in the past with no issues. Currently have an opaline gourami there & besides him chasing my keyhole cichlid occasionally he's great around the other fish. I've had both in with mollies, guppies, neons, rainbow fish, cories & rummynose tetra.

The opaline gourami is a nice looking fish for a 75 gallon

I read somewhere else on this forum that the bigger gourami's (like the opaline) will generally eat any fish that can fit into its mouth. Has that happened with you rolo? 

Honey gourami are both very beautiful and peaceful. I couldn't in my heart of hearts recommend a dwarf gourami as they are dreadfully prone to disease and viral infections despite my quite sincere love for them.

He's never bothered any other fish except for the keyhole that is.

Maybe check out the pearl gourami if you're a bit worried about your smaller fish.

I really like how the opaline gourami looks and I would prefer a big gourami over the smaller ones, I think I'll try that. My tank should be large enough to give the smaller fish hiding places if they're uncomfortable. If it doesn't work out I'll go with pearl/honey.

I don't know where i'm going to get it though, my LFS typically only has gold gourami in stock. Any suggestions? (either in store or online stores)

I have a Royal Red Dwarf Gourami in my tank, with Neon Tetra's among other things and it is fine! Fairly peaceful although it seems to flare its fins up when I go near the tank :/

Honey would be your best bet as has already been stated, I'd also recommend you re-home the plec. It will out grow any 75 Gallon quite quickly. 1 inch per gallon is also rather inaccurate and should not be used as a stocking guide IMO.

I also have an opaline gourami who doesn't even bother shrimps. I saw a shrimp swim right against his face and he just backed away from it!

The guppies I might be concerned about. Maybe. Some gourami don't like very bright colorful fish. I love him though, he's got the best personality.

I would prefer something bigger than the honey (it gets to 2 inches correct?)
I'm still undecided though, I wouldn't want to risk any of my fish.

For me, golden gouramis are great with community tanks. They have better temperament than their closest breed, opaline gouramis which tend to become territorial as time goes by. Pearl gouramis are also great as they tend to mind their own business though they grow quite big.

Albino giant gouramis are also nice but i dont think they'll be good companions for your small fish. Thick-lipped dwarf gouramis are cute and nice also

no idea why not. I have 3 male dwarf gouramis with all the kinds of fish you have and more :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back