GOURAMI PROBLEM!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Im afraid it could be the virus which i read is uncurable correct?. is there any way i can forsure distinguish virus from wound?
The virus is not curable. Not sure how to distinguish virus from wound. I mean if he has other symptoms of the virus then he has the virus but if he doesnā€™t and just has that one lesion then itā€™s just a wound.

That is a bite wound, that could easily become infected if your water params aren't pristine.

Angels and gouramis DO NOT belong in the same tank together, with very few exceptions.

Gourami have an upturned very small mouth so Iā€™m not sure a fellow gourami could even inflict that kind of damage. Is he the smallest of the gouramis? Is he full size yet? Canā€™t tell from the photo... might have been an angel they are also territorial and if they feel thereā€™s a shortage of food they may attack other fish
Is
I believe both are males. Atleast from what i was told in another fourm. i posted pictures of the 2 because i couldnt distinguish. But they have been in there for quite some time. Never anything like this
of theyā€™re from a pet store like pet smart they only sell males

It might be dwarf gourami iridovirus. It's an especially large lesion but it does look like the ones it causes.
Iā€™ve never seen that before so Iā€™m not sure what the symptoms would look like, I mean if they have other symptoms I would go with thatā€™s what it is however if not I would assume it was a bite. Maybe try and watch to see if heā€™s acting weirdly or of anyone is chasing him around in particular? Iā€™d look for if he cowers from other fish?

Because of the size of the lesion I wouldn't think it was a bite though it certainly looks like one. I don't think an Angel would be able to take such a large chunk out of the fish, though I could be wrong. If it was an angel bite I would expect more tattered fins and a lot more signs of some sort of conflict. There are other possibilities to consider:
  1. Mechanical damage, fish got caught, panicked and pull its way past something sharp or abrasive. (could be the result of interaction with the Angel)
  2. Burn, I had a fish rest against an older heater so long that they burned their skin, it started with discoloration but then turned into a large wound. (I had to move the heater)
  3. It could be the Dwarf Gourami disease, I have no direct experience with this disease.
I would follow the advice of others, more water changes, clean clean water. Observe the fishes behaviour and watch for any improvement. It might be prudent to put the fish in a hospital tank if you have one but likely if it is the dwarf gourami disease it may have already spread.

Hi, to me this looks like a bite. Likely either the Angel or the other Dwarf, neither would be surprising.
I've seen Dwarfs do plenty of damage to each other in the past and have experienced it first hand. The location of the wound to me looks like a prime spot to take a chunk out of in a fight. I've seen it a few times with my Three Spot males, they would on occasion twirl around each other and grab the spot that has that wound though they never did much damage.

The virus is not curable. Not sure how to distinguish virus from wound. I mean if he has other symptoms of the virus then he has the virus but if he doesnā€™t and just has that one lesion then itā€™s just a wound.
Iā€™ve seen it twice and both times the gouramies had the lesion for weeks without any other symptoms. Only a few days before they died did they start getting lethargic and hiding and stopped eating.

Iā€™ve seen it twice and both times the gouramies had the lesion for weeks without any other symptoms. Only a few days before they died did they start getting lethargic and hiding and stopped eating.
Thank you for sharing your personal experience, this info could certainly help.

Thanks for the reply. Ill keep an eye out because as of now he still seems to be himself eating etc

Because of the size of the lesion I wouldn't think it was a bite though it certainly looks like one. I don't think an Angel would be able to take such a large chunk out of the fish, though I could be wrong. If it was an angel bite I would expect more tattered fins and a lot more signs of some sort of conflict. There are other possibilities to consider:
  1. Mechanical damage, fish got caught, panicked and pull its way past something sharp or abrasive. (could be the result of interaction with the Angel)
  2. Burn, I had a fish rest against an older heater so long that they burned their skin, it started with discoloration but then turned into a large wound. (I had to move the heater)
  3. It could be the Dwarf Gourami disease, I have no direct experience with this disease.
I would follow the advice of others, more water changes, clean clean water. Observe the fishes behaviour and watch for any improvement. It might be prudent to put the fish in a hospital tank if you have one but likely if it is the dwarf gourami disease it may have already spread.
Thank you for the reply. Im going to rule out heater because it is at the bottom almost sitting on the gravel so he would have to have been belly up to catch a burn like that. Im thinking/hoping bite and not disease and that they can start getting along (fingers crossed)

Hi, to me this looks like a bite. Likely either the Angel or the other Dwarf, neither would be surprising.
I've seen Dwarfs do plenty of damage to each other in the past and have experienced it first hand. The location of the wound to me looks like a prime spot to take a chunk out of in a fight. I've seen it a few times with my Three Spot males, they would on occasion twirl around each other and grab the spot that has that wound though they never did much damage.
Yea i know it seemed like an awfully large chunk. Hoping he will pull through and be ok. Thanksfor the reply

Iā€™ve never seen that before so Iā€™m not sure what the symptoms would look like, I mean if they have other symptoms I would go with thatā€™s what it is however if not I would assume it was a bite. Maybe try and watch to see if heā€™s acting weirdly or of anyone is chasing him around in particular? Iā€™d look for if he cowers from other fish?
The other dwarf has always had a little agression/dominance towards him but nothing serious. They still eat around eachother without agression etc. Have not had any agression from the pearl gourami so thats a plus. Hopefully he recovers and it doesnt happen again. Thanks for the reply

That is a bite wound, that could easily become infected if your water params aren't pristine.

Angels and gouramis DO NOT belong in the same tank together, with very few exceptions.
What might be the exeptions? Have had no problems in the last 4 months between the angels and the gouramis..

What might be the exeptions? Have had no problems in the last 4 months between the angels and the gouramis..
Yours is an exception, most of the time, they don't get along well...that being said, I DO have a single angel in my 40B tank, with a pearl gourami and a 3 spot gourami...they ignore each other, but there's LOTS of other fish in the tank, as well, for distraction

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back