Population Control Volunteer
Reaction score
Common Name/s: Pearl Gourami, Leeri Gourami

Scientific name: Trichogaster leeri

Family: Belontiidae.

Origin: Southeast Asia

Maximum Size:
4"

Care: One of the hardiest gouramis around. They prefer an acidic pH, but do not demand it. Will tolerate pretty much any aquarium water as long as extremes are avoided. A very peaceful fish, this is the ideal tankmates for many fish as they are not too small and make a beautiful addition to most tanks. However, in keeping them with some fish, i have noticed that some fish like to nip at their ventral fins, or "feelers". This is stressful for them, and should be avoided. They like to be in well planted tanks.

Feeding: Will eat almost anything, as it is an omnivore. Prepared foods such as flakes and pellets are taken without hesitation. Fresh vegetables, well washed, may be used to supplement its diet.

Sexing and Breeding: There is a very clear difference between the two, as the males have a very bright red throat, while the female does not. To breed it, condition a male and a female with live foods. Following that, put them in a smaller tank, reduce the water level, and have many floating plants. The male will then build a bubble nest, and they will breed. Once the eggs are laid, remove the female. The male may be removed after the fry are free-swimming. Infusoria or liquid fry foods should be fed at this time. At around two weeks, freshly hatched brine shrimp may be fed. After approximately a month, you may begin feeding them crushed pellets or flakes.

Comments: One of the hardiest and most beautiful gouramies, it is easily found, and makes a fine addition to any community tank.

Here is a picture of FanOFish's specimen.

Attachments

• Trichogaster_Leeri.jpg
    Trichogaster_Leeri.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 328
It would appear that the best way to add new pearls to a larger males territory is to place those you are going to be adding (which should be smaller) in a clear plastic bag and let it sit in the tank. The male will come over and viciously attack the bag when trying to get to those inside the bag. After about an hour the male will stop. At that point change something in the tank. move a plant or two. then let the new fish to the aquarium. I did this with my last two fish and my large pealr male has not attacked either of my three females yet.

P.S. Males also Appear to Color up A LOT more when females or other pearls are in the tank. My large male used to be alone and was rarely red but now that i added more pearls he is red all the time and always has his pretty fins open.

1 of my old males
gourami.gif

this pic really shows the red throat mature males develop
throat.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back