FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question about bubble nests
i have a betta in a tank, and some pearl gouramis in another.
none have made bubble nests before. is this normal?
had them for a year

Have you got males?
How calm is the surface?
Any floating plants on the surface?
How often and what do you feed them?

------------------
Labyrinths build bubblenests on still water. If there is too much aeration/ surface turbulence it breaks the nest up. Having floating plants like water Sprite help to clam the surface and give the bubblenest somewhere to attach.

If the fish are not fed enough, they won't be in breeding condition and won't want to build a bubblenest. Breeding fish should be fed 3-5 times a day with a variety of dry, frozen and live foods. If you don't want them to breed, just feed once a day.

Do more water changes and gravel cleans if feeding more often to help keep the tank clean.

Make sure the temperature is warm enough for them.

Have you got males?
How calm is the surface?
Any floating plants on the surface?
How often and what do you feed them?

------------------
Labyrinths build bubblenests on still water. If there is too much aeration/ surface turbulence it breaks the nest up. Having floating plants like water Sprite help to clam the surface and give the bubblenest somewhere to attach.

If the fish are not fed enough, they won't be in breeding condition and won't want to build a bubblenest. Breeding fish should be fed 3-5 times a day with a variety of dry, frozen and live foods. If you don't want them to breed, just feed once a day.

Do more water changes and gravel cleans if feeding more often to help keep the tank clean.

Make sure the temperature is warm enough for them.
i have one male gourami in each tank

1 male splendens- surface very calm - a small amount of duckweed

1 male leeri gourami -parts of the surface very calm, others slight movement- TONS of duckweed, and many water lettuces

feed a variety of high-end fish foods, freeze-dried stuff, and frozen stuff.
mostly high-protein and pretty high fiber

is breeding behavior like the male goes and bumps into the side of the female?
they have been doing that and playing around for a long time.
since it's summer break, i've bumped up their feeding to more than 3 times a day, and they all have plump bellies

i do a daily 5/75 water change for the big tank

Some male bettas are just not as interested in building bubble nests. It might be a personality thing or he might not have strong breeding instincts. On the flip side some female bettas will build bubble nests. Why? I have no idea.

My male betta is older now and he rarely builds bubble nests anymore. When he was younger he used to build massive bubble nests in/around his floating log. He now rarely uses the same log he was once obsessed with and instead rests in other places around the tank. Fish are weird.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back