FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

AliWolffish

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey, so part one of this post is I have one turquoise gourami in my tank, and he seems to not be ok, even though he has beenĀ fine ever since I got him on the 16th ofĀ Aug.Ā He's spending all his time up near the top of the heater, not eating and not really swimming around unless I put my hand near the glass, then he darts away but a few minutes later he's back in the same position. I also noticed today when I got home, its almost like he's twitching and staring at the heater.
Ā 
Part 2 of my post is I have 3 tuxedo and 3 dragonhead guppies, one tuxĀ has recently started to hide near the bottom/ back corner of the tank and today I just noticed today that he has an almost clearĀ strip (about one cm long) between the back of his head and his dorsal fin (I think that's what its called, I know it is on a shark....). I looked for something similar on the forum but cant find anything
no.gif

Ā 
Any help would be great!!! Thanks!!!

I'm not able to help very much as I'm not experienced with illnesses, but I will tell you some info others will need in order to help you.
Ā 
-Tank Size
-Was the tank cycled
-Water test readings (mainly ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes)
-Water temperature
-What test kit you are using, if you have tested the water
Ā 
I see you are a new member and often coming to this forum can be a bit of a shock. Ā You can learn a lot very quickly. Ā I would suggest reading the cycling article in the tabs at the top of the page while awaiting some help, just to get you started (of course if you have completed a fishless cycle, perhaps you don't need to read)

Hi.
Just read through your old posts and I can say that your tank is not ready for fish yet unfortunately. This is why you are having problems with your stock.
A reading for ammonia in a tank with no nitrates suggest that your tank is not cycled. A cycled tank will show no ammonia or nitrite but a reading for nitrate. I suggest plenty of water changes or giving the fish back to the shop until the tank is cycled b
Thanks

@squidneh
thank you for the information, I will certainly keep that in mind. I have read the Cycling page and I do realizeĀ that I put my fish in WAY too early. Unfortunately, I did my research on having fish inĀ the tank, but not what I need to do before I put them in the tank.Ā I was told by a friend who has fish tanks that 1 week would be sufficient and I could start putting fish in. Ā 
Ā 
@nic1
Thank you for your information as well, being a fish hobbyist is a lot harder than IĀ first thought. I will keep doing water changes and hope that it helps my fish survive. I sadly cannot return them, as my 'fish guarantee'Ā has gone by the time limit they gave me.
Ā 
Again, thanks to both of you and I hope all goes well with my tank!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back