Got new allergy test done…. Results 😭😭😭😭

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I forgot my new allergies. I had a reef with anemones from 1995 to 2001, no issue. I set up a mini reef - not so many corals in 2010, and in 2011 I bought myself a beautiful rose anemone. Thought I got in Poison Oak on a job site shortly afterward. Took a couple of months to realize that poison oak recurred every time I did a water change or for any reason put my arm in my reef. That anemone reproduced and everything. Had a 9 year old regal tang. In 2013 I gave the reef to one of my daughters, the tang was dead in 3 weeks, anemone and clowns shortly after. Heartbroken.... I have never bothered to get shots. I moved cross country to outrun many of my pollen allergies and antihistamines became over the counter for the rest. But didn't help the anemone allergy. I've also become allergic to NSAIDS. Naproxen sodium, etc. The stuff you take for migraines. On the bright side no wheat no migraines. It's a shifting balance thing. Just keep swimming.

I have food intolerances. I only eat things that I can catch.

Seriously, though...that's a bummer, Juice. Maybe it's back-handed good news, though, if avoiding these things will help with your conditions. Looking at your list, I actually see a lot of really good things that aren't on the list, so all is not lost.

So I just had Olive Garden today...
Yah, I really don't want a bunch of needles poked into my back but now I'm really contemplating doing an allergy test... I don't know how expensive they are and if their too expensive then I won't have it done but I am wondering if I am possibly allergic to certain things...
Cause I have to remember, allergies aren't just pet a kitty and your face swells up, eyes get itchy, and you sneeze.
There are many different foods, animals, and chemicals that can cause a variety of different reactions.
Some are severe while others can be mild.

I don't know if maybe there are different ways of testing for allergies but if so I'd like to not be stabbed by needles in the back.

Any ideas?

the needle type allergy test is usually done on you arm..It's relatively painless compared to a shot in your arm..It just barely nicks your skin
Oh my mom said it was my back 😅
I'm like: "Uhhh no thanks"

Oh my mom said it was my back 😅
I'm like: "Uhhh no thanks"
Different types of allergy tests for different types of allergies. There’s the ones where they prick your arm or back in a dozen or so places and see if you swell, or there’s the blood test. That’s the kind I got (I’ve had the other kind as well) the blood test is just a finger prick, a couple drops of blood dropped onto a sheet and you’re all good. Much better than the itchy kind

Different types of allergy tests for different types of allergies. There’s the ones where they prick your arm or back in a dozen or so places and see if you swell, or there’s the blood test. That’s the kind I got (I’ve had the other kind as well) the blood test is just a finger prick, a couple drops of blood dropped onto a sheet and you’re all good. Much better than the itchy kind
Well I would rather be pricked once on the finger than a lot on the arm or back 😅
Thanks for the info!

They use a device that holds like a dozen tiny needles
Just applied once to your arm.. not one at a time.. trust me.. it’s painless

They use a device that holds like a dozen tiny needles
Just applied once to your arm.. not one at a time.. trust me.. it’s painless
Ahhh ok! That makes more sense...
I brought up the testing to my parents and they seem to be on board with the idea... Not sure when it'll happen though 😅
But I think I need this to be done. Then make some diet changes

So I just had Olive Garden today...
Yah, I really don't want a bunch of needles poked into my back but now I'm really contemplating doing an allergy test... I don't know how expensive they are and if their too expensive then I won't have it done but I am wondering if I am possibly allergic to certain things...
Cause I have to remember, allergies aren't just pet a kitty and your face swells up, eyes get itchy, and you sneeze.
There are many different foods, animals, and chemicals that can cause a variety of different reactions.
Some are severe while others can be mild.
I think you need to stop worrying about allergies and enjoy life. You are becoming a little obsessed about this and you don't need to worry. JuiceBox on the other hand has some serious issues, but Rocky, you need to take a step back and not worry about the allergies. If you had severe allergies, they would have been diagnosed years ago.

Enjoy life, enjoy food and different experiences, and leave the worrying up to the other people. If you're healthy, accept it and enjoy being healthy. Don't stress yourself over trivial tings that might not happen.

I think you need to stop worrying about allergies and enjoy life. You are becoming a little obsessed about this and you don't need to worry. JuiceBox on the other hand has some serious issues, but Rocky, you need to take a step back and not worry about the allergies. If you had severe allergies, they would have been diagnosed years ago.

Enjoy life, enjoy food and different experiences, and leave the worrying up to the other people. If you're healthy, accept it and enjoy being healthy. Don't stress yourself over trivial tings that might not happen.
Well see, I've had stomach issues for as long as I can remember and I can never pin it down.
I never really thought about allergies until this thread came up.
Like, I thought about it a bit but that was a while back and I was just thinking: "Nah, I don't think I am"...
But as I think about it it's sometimes after dairy, or gluten things I get bad stomach issues. BUT, sometimes I can have a bowl of cereal and be fine which is weird.
You'd have to understand my daily things I go through as far as food and my stomach to really understand but I'm about 90% sure I have some sort of intolerance to SOME foods.
I think most of is do but we just don't really notice

Coffee is also a KILLER. I get headaches, my stomach hurts, and I just feel tired.
I only have it occasionally. My parents drink it almost daily but I have it MAYBE once a month

Well see, I've had stomach issues for as long as I can remember and I can never pin it down.
I never really thought about allergies until this thread came up.
Like, I thought about it a bit but that was a while back and I was just thinking: "Nah, I don't think I am"...
But as I think about it it's sometimes after dairy, or gluten things I get bad stomach issues. BUT, sometimes I can have a bowl of cereal and be fine which is weird.
You'd have to understand my daily things I go through as far as food and my stomach to really understand but I'm about 90% sure I have some sort of intolerance to SOME foods.
I think most of is do but we just don't really notice
Get tested for stomach ulcer bacteria. It's a saliva test (you spit in a phial) and they examine it under a microscope. If they find Helicobacter pylori, you have stomach ulcer bacteria. A 5 day course of antibiotics kills the bacteria and as long as you avoid swapping saliva with anyone who has the bacteria, you will remain free of it. Half the population has Helicobacter pylori and about 10% of those people have stomach ulcers.

-------------------
If you suspect food intolerances, drop dairy and wheat/ grains for a week and see how you go. Then add milk and see how you feel. If you are fine for a week, add another food and monitor for a week. Continue adding 1 food at a time and see how you feel. If you have an intolerance, you will notice it pretty quickly.

You should also keep a food diary and write down what time you eat and what you eat, along with how you feel.
eg: 18 September 2022.
10:30am bowl of cornflakes and cow's milk.
11:45am, feel nauseated
6pm feel sick and got the runs

Check the food label on everything you eat because a lot of foods have wheat and other things added even though they shouldn't.
eg: chocolate and icecream used to have wheat in and some brands still do.

You could also have problems with food colours and preservatives. A lot of people have intolerances to preservatives but not many people check the labelling. I can't tolerate sulpha and any preservative starting with 22 (220, 221, 222, 223, etc). They are all sulpha based.

Get tested for stomach ulcer bacteria. It's a saliva test (you spit in a phial) and they examine it under a microscope. If they find Helicobacter pylori, you have stomach ulcer bacteria. A 5 day course of antibiotics kills the bacteria and as long as you avoid swapping saliva with anyone who has the bacteria, you will remain free of it. Half the population has Helicobacter pylori and about 10% of those people have stomach ulcers.

-------------------
If you suspect food intolerances, drop dairy and wheat/ grains for a week and see how you go. Then add milk and see how you feel. If you are fine for a week, add another food and monitor for a week. Continue adding 1 food at a time and see how you feel. If you have an intolerance, you will notice it pretty quickly.

You should also keep a food diary and write down what time you eat and what you eat, along with how you feel.
eg: 18 September 2022.
10:30am bowl of cornflakes and cow's milk.
11:45am, feel nauseated
6pm feel sick and got the runs

Check the food label on everything you eat because a lot of foods have wheat and other things added even though they shouldn't.
eg: chocolate and icecream used to have wheat in and some brands still do.

You could also have problems with food colours and preservatives. A lot of people have intolerances to preservatives but not many people check the labelling. I can't tolerate sulpha and any preservative starting with 22 (220, 221, 222, 223, etc). They are all sulpha based.
I may try this!
Now comes the part where I have to say goodbye to the best food section there is... Dairy. That means cheese, milk, yogurt, ice-cream, and other stuff 😔
I think the reason why I didn't do stuff like this was the denial... I didn't want to have any intolerances. Now I think I may have to accept it.
My mom tried telling me once that I might but I was all like: "Nah, no way" 😅

I may look into that bacteria! That would suck if I had it but I guess it's an easy fix, right?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back