The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Bit of an eventful day, I've finally got my Red Eye Red Tail puffers that I set the tank up for about 12 months ago now. I got them from Wharf Aquatics (my favourite shop) and have a male and a female. I would have prefered more females but they were selling them in pairs and only had 2 females left so I could either get 1 or 2 pairs, understandable on their part but bit problematic for me but hopefully we can make it work.

00914518-E35D-462B-B613-C50E7048C9AA_1_105_c.jpeg

66006B8A-F86E-4427-B305-DA754DD1219E_1_105_c.jpeg

4E35C3E6-9A8B-416F-B4BB-0D39116ADC11_1_105_c.jpeg

8449505C-3F30-4657-BF8E-B32A5F8724D6_1_105_c.jpeg

For those not familiar the male is the one with the soilid stripes, red tail and red belly and the female is the one with a mottled pattern and a speckled belly. They are both really active which made it hard for photos but think these are ok :).

I say eventful day as initially I left the store with a school of Platinum Tetras and a trio of Apistogramma Nisjeni, both of which were an impulse buy. I went specifically for the puffers but for some reason I didnt initally get them, I think I was put off by having to get in pairs and I've been a bit worried about them around my Amano Shrimp - I've had mixed advice around the combo but after getting them home Im more confident the smallest Amano shrimp is twice the size of these 2 and the biggest is technically a small lobster now. Anyway needless to say I decided against the Apistos and Tetras and turned around at a service station as I was just filling with a sense that I was going to regret getting them. The Apistos in particular needed specific blackwater conditions really and its not something I wanted to do. Where as the tank has been set up with the puffers in mind - letting the snail population explode etc.

Lesson of the day stick to the plan and don't impulse buy as you will end up looking a bit of a wally!

Wills

Stunning! Congratulations on your new additions. :wub: :clap:

They look great.

Thanks guys really happy with them first night has gone well be desperate to get my jump guard made as they are so active.

I last had some of these in about 2011 and always regretted not keeping them so feeing really good that I’ve got some more again now.

Thanks guys really happy with them first night has gone well be desperate to get my jump guard made as they are so active.

I last had some of these in about 2011 and always regretted not keeping them so feeing really good that I’ve got some more again now.
You waited a while for these fish.I hope you get many years of joy,well done on taking the plunge again.

I say eventful day as initially I left the store with a school of Platinum Tetras and a trio of Apistogramma Nisjeni, both of which were an impulse buy. I went specifically for the puffers but for some reason I didnt initally get them, I think I was put off by having to get in pairs and I've been a bit worried about them around my Amano Shrimp - I've had mixed advice around the combo but after getting them home Im more confident the smallest Amano shrimp is twice the size of these 2 and the biggest is technically a small lobster now. Anyway needless to say I decided against the Apistos and Tetras and turned around at a service station as I was just filling with a sense that I was going to regret getting them. The Apistos in particular needed specific blackwater conditions really and its not something I wanted to do. Where as the tank has been set up with the puffers in mind - letting the snail population explode etc.

Lesson of the day stick to the plan and don't impulse buy as you will end up looking a bit of a wally!

Wills

Wow, I've never seen puffers like this before! Really striking.

Sorry to bump old thread, was looking for an older thread of yours about dream tank set up where I knew you'd shared a useful vid for aquascaping, and saw this, wanted to see the pics.

But I'm commenting because I laughed at the bit about turning around after buying the tetras/apistos and bringing them right back! You did the right thing for sure - impulse buying is always risky, and if you're regretting it before you've even got them home, then definitely best to return them! But I'm imagining the way the owner and staff of my LFS would have reacted if I'd done that - gobsmacked looks on their faces, and teasing me for making them catch and bag the fish only to change my mind, lol! Hope the store people were understanding, and you weren't too embarrassed by it :lol:

Wow, I've never seen puffers like this before! Really striking.

Sorry to bump old thread, was looking for an older thread of yours about dream tank set up where I knew you'd shared a useful vid for aquascaping, and saw this, wanted to see the pics.

But I'm commenting because I laughed at the bit about turning around after buying the tetras/apistos and bringing them right back! You did the right thing for sure - impulse buying is always risky, and if you're regretting it before you've even got them home, then definitely best to return them! But I'm imagining the way the owner and staff of my LFS would have reacted if I'd done that - gobsmacked looks on their faces, and teasing me for making them catch and bag the fish only to change my mind, lol! Hope the store people were understanding, and you weren't too embarrassed by it :lol:
I'm really enjoying them so far - I did loose my original male but it meant I could add an other pair so now have a trio. I'm moving their tank next to my desk soon so looking forward to having them with me all day which will be cool. Will be a big rescape when it moves too so looking forward to that - going to book a day off so I have family stuff covered as if I was at work but also time to just get it done. I am also going to take the chance to rehome some of the other fish in here as not enjoying it so much with them here, so the gobies are going and probably the green neon rasboras probably to replace them with glowlight danios or galaxy or emerald rasboras - I have 5 gobies and 10 rasboras at the moment but would probably replace them with 20 of the other school and no bottom dwellers - apart from my amano shrimps.

The LFS was fine with it haha! I just new I'd made a mistake everyone does and they were understanding and kind of respected it as the team are all hobbyists so get the impulse feeling but yeah was a bit embarrassing - still 5 mins of embarrassment made up for weeks/months of stress dealing with a bad decision.

Most reactions

Back