Got a group of Limia perugiae for free today...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Today I've picked up a group of adults, juveniles and fry of the Limia perugiae. This is a livebearer from the Dominican Republic. I already keep these fish for several years. And I could need some fresh blood to add to the group. I was called yesterday by someone (who got my number from a friend of mine) and he asked me if I could use these fish. You only need to pick them up, he said. So, I got there with two plastic boxes (with a silicon seal in the lid to keep them leak free) and a thermobag. For it's 2 °C outside at the moment. A total of 64 fish (all sizes) were scooped out of the tank. Sounds much but one third was just fry. These fish leave their fry alone, so that why we put them together in those two plastic boxes. There were duck weed in it. I know they are good to have but I hate it. So, I got rid of that first.
And I found one cichlid fry in there. And don't know what kind yet. It's about 4mm in length. He had a mix of cichlids in one of those tanks as well that he already got rid of. But he couldn't tell me which kind this small fish would be. So, I'll let him grow up first to see what it exactly is. IMG_8134.JPGIMG_8135.JPGIMG_8136.JPGIMG_8137.JPGIMG_8138.JPGIMG_8139.JPG
This is how adult Limia perugiae look like...
livebearer3 051.jpg

Sounds like you had a really good day, getting to pick up some free fish and getting some new genetics for your project. They look nice and healthy too.

What an extra treat to also end up with a “mystery” cichlid. I’m looking forward to hearing what that turns out to be so I hope it continues to do well for you and grows up well.

How awesome!

Sounds like you had a really good day, getting to pick up some free fish and getting some new genetics for your project. They look nice and healthy too.

What an extra treat to also end up with a “mystery” cichlid. I’m looking forward to hearing what that turns out to be so I hope it continues to do well for you and grows up well.

How awesome!
Well, if he would've tried to sell them to a store, it will be questionable if they'll take them. For it's a rare livebearer that most people don't know. And they have hardly some color (although, when the light hits the body a blue-greenish shine is to be seen). So, they'll risk that it won't be able to sell them.

as emeraldKing mentioned L. perugiae looks better when the light hits the body so good aquarium lighting or daylight /sun will show it's true colours a very peaceful fish with a stunning bluish sheen colour this species is well worth the time and effort keeping them

Yes, you can see their soft pastel colors in some of the pictures of his fish. Very pretty.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back