Got A Free Ten Gallon Today!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

attibones

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I told myself I wouldn't buy another fish tank until I move to Colorado where I'll do my first build, around 100 gallons for angelfish, but I never told myself I wouldn't accept free tanks off of friends! ;)

It's a standard ten, but it doesn't have a lid, filter, or any other necessary things. I'm thinking about turning into a hospital, instead of the twenty plus gallon Rubbermaid I'm running, but I think I might have to have an invert tank.

I would like the focus to be shrimps and snails (and puppy dog tails), but what would be a small fish I could keep in the tank? Either shoaling or single fish would be nice.

My water is moderately soft? I never see any lime scale on my kettle or water fixtures. My pH is around 7.4, maybe as low as 7.2.

Because I want brightly colored shrimps, I'd be best off with something other than a betta or puffer.

Suggestions?

How about your shrimp and a school of celestial pearl danios?

danio_CelestialPearl1.jpg

Mosquito Rasbora or Microdevario Kubotai :)

Those are all three excellent suggestions. The danios are brilliant looking, the Mosquito Rasboras seem to be a more active inhabitant which would also be a fun breeding adventure, and the Kubotai look fascinating. I suppose I would have to decide on how heavily I would like to plant. Seems like the danios would need the most plants.

Hmmm... I kind of want a reptile, but I really don't want to buy more equipment. If I can run a sponge filter or use my double air pump for a DIY filter, that'd be way better than going out and buying a bunch more stuff. I think I'll stick with fish.

I know I want some cherry shrimp, I've been wanting those for a while, nerite snails, maybe some rilli shrimp? Hmm...

I like THESE, was thinking of doing them and some cherries in a 10g in a few months.

Endlers are an option aswell. I had an old 10gallon tank of Endler males, RCS, Amano Shrimp and african dwarf frogs. The ADFs will predate the young shrimp though, so I made sure I had a healthy and readily breeding stock of shrimp so that any lost were replaced.

I like them all but those celestial pearl danio i now want aome for my tank. I think i vote for that one x_x

Ninjouzata said:
I like THESE, was thinking of doing them and some cherries in a 10g in a few months.
Now there's an option. I've never seen them before. 

saltynay said:
Endlers are an option aswell. I had an old 10gallon tank of Endler males, RCS, Amano Shrimp and african dwarf frogs. The ADFs will predate the young shrimp though, so I made sure I had a healthy and readily breeding stock of shrimp so that any lost were replaced.
I like endlers, far more than standard guppies anyway. To me, guppies are sort of like children with ADD. The endlers are prettier, of course, and, in a weird way, less "look at me!" than guppies. Guppies are just so hyper. Haha. However, I'm not sure if the behave similarly. 

Most Endlers you will find at a LFS are hybrids with guppies so they behave extremely similar and have a wide range of tolerance for water conditions. Endlers are generally a little smaller and more attractive in my opinion than the standard LFS guppy. Ofcourse if you wanted to seek them out there are some very good looking show quality guppies and endler strains.

Get a leopard gecko!!! They need a heat spot on one side, and you can use tubaware to setup a moist hide, and have a dry hide on the warm side, and have a normal dry cold side hide as well, and just have calcium and water  in there and either a mealworm dish which i def. prefer, or feed it crickets. They poop in one area of the tank so its easy to clean up after. 

Saw, that's so much more equipment though. I've got a spare filter and I know how to make my own to make them even more cost effective. I like reptiles but guys just so much more stuff that I'm not used to. Plus, all that year could only be used for reptiles later on, but if I keep fish, I can swap out the accessories as needed with no issue. Do you see the dilemma?

However, my boyfriend and I both really want a bearded dragon, so we will probably get one after we move (we won't put it in a ten gallon though).

saltynay said:
Most Endlers you will find at a LFS are hybrids with guppies so they behave extremely similar and have a wide range of tolerance for water conditions. Endlers are generally a little smaller and more attractive in my opinion than the standard LFS guppy. Ofcourse if you wanted to seek them out there are some very good looking show quality guppies and endler strains.
I usually order online, so I could find some very nice endlers. But I haven't made any decisions yet.

Keep the suggestions coming! :) I'm loving all these ideas.

There is a gecko in my frontyard idk how it got there...

I found a newt the other day and my dog didn't even try to eat it. :)

I live in florida now and the only cool things are in the saltwater now, i miss the FW creeks so much :(

I think you could do one of the smaller rainbows like spotted blue-eyes (pseudomugil gertrudae) :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back