Goody Goody: DARIO DARIO are GO

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Nano tank news : Just got the scissors out to cut back the plants at the front of the tank and I just saw at least half a dozen Badis Badis fry of small size but way beyond egg yolk stage and swimming freely out of the way of the parents among the plants.
I'm not really surprised as the parents had been seen displaying but the fast plant growth sort of blocked my view.
My mobile phone is on charge at present but I'll try and snap an image or two in the next few hours.
YAHOO......... Nice to know that fry of such miniscule size just after hatching managed to escape the 15 green neon tetra. Plants have come in useful for that I guess.

I JUST TURNED THE STREAMING WEBCAM : CLICK MY SIGNATURE LINK TO SEE LIVE COVERAGE

Last edited:
Nano tank news : Just got the scissors out to cut back the plants at the front of the tank and I just saw at least half a dozen Badis Badis fry of small size but way beyond egg yolk stage and swimming freely out of the way of the parents among the plants.
I'm not really surprised as the parents had been seen displaying but the fast plant growth sort of blocked my view.
My mobile phone is on charge at present but I'll try and snap an image or two in the next few hours.
YAHOO......... Nice to know that fry of such miniscule size just after hatching managed to escape the 15 green neon tetra. Plants have come in useful for that I guess.

I JUST TURNED THE STREAMING WEBCAM : CLICK MY SIGNATURE LINK TO SEE LIVE COVERAGE
Awesome!! I'll have to check them out!

I just saw the live stream! Your tank looks beautiful! My mom was wondering, what plant do you have in the front of the tank? 😅

How big is the tank? You said nano but how nano? They should be in a tank with base dimensions of 80 x30cm or more.

I just saw the live stream! Your tank looks beautiful! My mom was wondering, what plant do you have in the front of the tank? 😅
You know what? I haven't a clue. I put it as a topic earlier seeking identification but I don't think it was resolved. All I know is that it took a bit of time to establish from seed grown emersed in a tub, then once planted at around half a cm height it just shot up. The tank has CO2 stream and good quality aquasoil. I have to cut back quite often as it just keeps getting taller. Might be good. to use as a background plant.
The green neon tetra love it as, together with the places to hide among the wood piece, gives good security for them.
The Badis Badis also spend a good deal of time shuffling about in it too, so now having fry using it I'll just leave things alone for now.
Oh, the cuttings are dunked into an old tub with treated tapwater and some fertiliser and they have now sprung roots from the stalks, something that hasn't happened in the tank itself. So if anyone would like some just let me know, in the UK of course.

How big is the tank? You said nano but how nano? They should be in a tank with base dimensions of 80 x30cm or more.
Tank size is 45 wide by 30 tall and 28 deep but size doesn't really come into it for such small fish. The Badis don't really swim around. They just creep along with short jerky movements so don't need space to swim as do the Tetras.
However the Green Neon Tetras are very happy as they spend a lot of time among the plants and under the root of the wood. They shoal fine in the space set aside for free motion but aren't too bothered, if at all, by size of tank.

SeriouslyFish seems to work on the inch per gallon basis though which is a good idea for larger fish that produce a lot of waste. Nano fish produce very little so can be stocked in larger numbers, or in smaller tanks unless there's likely to be nasty territorial behaviour. Just a generic point that though as it obviously won't apply across the board.
The Badis are fine here, as are the Tetras, though I'll need to pull the Badis fry out shortly or they'll start getting hassled by their parents, or at least any males will be.

For a lot of species, Seriously Fish uses the tank footprint. If they give a volume, it's usually the volume of a typical American tank with that footprint.

I'd suspect these are Scarlet Badis is that right @Lynnzer ? If so I think the wrong profile has been checked here https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/dario-dario/

Either way a 1.5x1 foot tank is going to be fine as said :) Great little fish and really interesting group as well - my favourite is the Black Tiger Badis!

Wills

I forgot to mention -

The profiles on Seriously Fish have orange boxes which contain things like suggestions for a filter for a tank of a specified volume. These orange boxes are ads for Amazon not part of the profile, so the tank volume in these boxes is Amazon's guess at the tank size.

I'd suspect these are Scarlet Badis is that right @Lynnzer ? If so I think the wrong profile has been checked here https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/dario-dario/

Either way a 1.5x1 foot tank is going to be fine as said :) Great little fish and really interesting group as well - my favourite is the Black Tiger Badis!

Wills
Those are the ones Wills. Great little buggers that love to just jerk cm by cm along the tank then pull back under the central root/branch system where a little cave was built in.
As for feeding, they are a bit too conservative for my liking. They aren't overly keen on dried flake or pellet food apparently but when I drop a good measure of whiteworm into the tank they just hang in the water until the green neons have frenziedly finished lunch. I try to place a number of worms into the left central side for the neons then drop some into the sparsely planted right side where the badis can see them and hopefully get there before the tetras.
It must be working as the appearance of fry testify to that.

Do we need to edit the thread title to "Goody Goody: Dario Dario are GO" to avoid anyone else looking up the wrong species?

Edit - I see the title has now been changed from ......Badis Badis....... to ......Dario Dario........ 👍

Last edited:
You know what? I haven't a clue. I put it as a topic earlier seeking identification but I don't think it was resolved. All I know is that it took a bit of time to establish from seed grown emersed in a tub, then once planted at around half a cm height it just shot up. The tank has CO2 stream and good quality aquasoil. I have to cut back quite often as it just keeps getting taller. Might be good. to use as a background plant.
The green neon tetra love it as, together with the places to hide among the wood piece, gives good security for them.
The Badis Badis also spend a good deal of time shuffling about in it too, so now having fry using it I'll just leave things alone for now.
Oh, the cuttings are dunked into an old tub with treated tapwater and some fertiliser and they have now sprung roots from the stalks, something that hasn't happened in the tank itself. So if anyone would like some just let me know, in the UK of course.
Ah man... lol.
Well whatever the plant is, it looks really nice!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back