Goodeids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Yes, they can get up to two inches in size.
The ones I kept in my paddle pool during the better months last year did grow up big. But the pool is 2m x 3m x 0,7m. So, that's sufficient space to grow up to their potential. And the pool got half shadow close to the fence. So, they could choose to be in the shadow or full sunlight.

Donā€™t know about you guys but that name - Goodeids - brings a smile to my face . ā€œ Oh goody I got some more Goodeids ! ā€œ If I didnā€™t know it was a fish Iā€™d think you were talking about candy or pastries .

Donā€™t know about you guys but that name - Goodeids - brings a smile to my face . ā€œ Oh goody I got some more Goodeids ! ā€œ If I didnā€™t know it was a fish Iā€™d think you were talking about candy or pastries .
And what comes in mind when we call them "splitfins"?

Canā€™t talk about that . This is a family forum .
Well, Goodeids are also called "splitfins". That refers to the male anal fin. The anal fin of a sexual ripe male consists of an anal fin that's got a small notch on the first fin rays. That's the sexual organ of the male and called "andropodium". But if you look at the total anal fin of a male, it looks as if the anal fin is split because of this small notch.

Well, Goodeids are also called "splitfins". That refers to the male anal fin. The anal fin of a sexual ripe male consists of an anal fin that's got a small notch on the first fin rays. That's the sexual organ of the male and called "andropodium". But if you look at the total anal fin of a male, it looks as if the anal fin is split because of this small notch.
So these fish are not just livebearers but a distinctly different type ? Andropodium is a totally new term to me . Very interesting . Very very interesting .

So these fish are not just livebearers but a distinctly different type ? Andropodium is a totally new term to me . Very interesting . Very very interesting .
Actually, these are real livebearers. The ones that most of us know are ovoviviparous livebearers, like e.g. guppies, swordtails, mollies, platies, etc. Goodeids and livebearing halfbeaks are real livebearers, the socalled viviparous livebearers. In ovoviviparous male livebearers, the sexual organ is called "gonopodium". In viviparous male livebearers, the sexual organ is called "andropodium".
The pregnancy in both disciplines is different. In ovoviviparous livebearers, the embryos will develop in an egg that is provided with nutrients once an egg is developed before fertilization. This providing of nutrients in an individual egg is called "pre-fertilization". And the developing embryos are fed by these nutrients untill the moment of birth. So, the only part of a female is in this case being a cocoon to protect the developing embryos until birth. So, the mother's body itself won't contribute to the development of the embryos. The membrane of the gg will burst inside the mother and the fry will roll out en will be born. We call them livebearers as well because it looks like they were born like mammals but actually, they're the same as egglayers but the fry hatch inside the mother's body. So techincally, what we call ovoviviparous livebearers such as e.g. guppies are not livebearers at all.

The pregnancy of viviparous livebearers is similar to that of mammals. They are maternally fed by the mother's body by the placenta. They are also born with trophotaneniae. Trophotaneniae is a cluster of small ribbon-like structures that is similar to an umbilical cord. They'll absorb or reject them the first day of birth. And females of viviparous livebearers don't have the ability to store sperm packets. So, a female always needs a new mating in order to get pregnant unlike ovoviviparous female livebearers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back