Good Workout And Diet Routine

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

clay

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am 18 years old. I am 6'2" and i weigh 235 pounds. I play football( American) and i also wrestle. I run approximately 1 mile a day 5 days a week. What would be a good workout for me to gain muscle mass? Particularly in the traploid, arms and chest area? Also i need to know a good day to day diet packed with protean. I cannot take any muscle building suppléments such as whey protean due to a stomach lining health condition.

The good news for you is that the typical American diet has plenty of protein for muscle building. We need to establish a baseline for your training. What resistance training are you doing now? How often and what kind of set/reps scheme? Need to know where you're at conditioning wise before I can make any suggestions for workouts.

I am 18 years old. I am 6'2" and i weigh 235 pounds. I play football( American) and i also wrestle. I run approximately 1 mile a day 5 days a week. What would be a good workout for me to gain muscle mass? Particularly in the traploid, arms and chest area? Also i need to know a good day to day diet packed with protean. I cannot take any muscle building suppléments such as whey protean due to a stomach lining health condition.

Hey Clay.

You seem to be about the same build as me (6'1"ish, 100 kilos). Are you wanting to gain mass for cosmetic purpose, or muscle density for strength? no problem with either, but it will change the style of workout.

Personally I am really into my rock climbing, so for me I need a high strength to weight ratio (power), rather than a high strength. For power, I train body weight exercises (pull-ups, dips, pressups, hanging leg raises etc). of course they are heavily tilted towards climbing (hence the hanging leg raises for core rather than sit-ups / planking). so for a higher power (which unless you are already quite powerful I would suggest), I would go for press-ups and dips. To work specific muscle groups when pressups you want to move your hands apart or closer together (apart > pecks, closer biceps). pULLUPS ARE ALSO A GOOD MOVE, EITHER WITH YOUR PALMS FACING YOU TO CURL YOUR BICEPS (sz caps), or with your palms away to work your fore-arm and triceps. Personally I don't bother with the palm facing me as it isn't representative of the moves I'll pull on the rock.

Regarding protein etc, I have never been bothered with the protein shake stuff, and as a vegi red meat is out of the question for me. What has worked before is eggs (3 large eggs scrambled after a work out, look up glycogen replenisment after exrcise, loads of info there!), and more recently, I make berry and banana smooties in the morning before work, to health them up, I add in tofu (as much as you want!) - it's almost all protein, has no flavour and just makes the smoothie creamy!

Creeker i currently jog in the mornings and run 0 yard Sprints in the evening. My weightlifting workout consists of 4 sets of 6 on bench press, 4 sets of 12 on bar curls, 20 on each arm on hammer curls, 20 on each arm 1 arm rows , 3 sets of 5 both arm rows, 3 sets of 10 hang cleans and 3 sets of 5 on squats. And i lift 3 days a week switching between heavy and light weight.
Mcbenthy i am looking for strength and muscle mass i need the mass for football and the strength for wrestling.
Thanks

Any other medical considerations besides the stomach lining thing? Any joint issues (knees, elbows,shoulders, hips)? Blood pressure ok? Heart issues? Sorry, got to know first. More good news, you are already doing cleans, a move I consider a necessity for football players. Oh, and what position are you going to play?

No other problems that i know about and i am an offensive tackle and à defensive noseguard.

First thing I would do is change the cleans to Power Cleans from the floor. Better application for what you do off the line. I would also change the Squats, pyramiding the sets and increasing the weight, 12-10-8-6-4 rep scheme. Add Deadlifts in 10-8-6-4, again increasing the weight each set and decreasing the reps. I would do 3 sets of 10 on leg curls, to target the Hamstrings directly. You need to keep them in strength balance to your quads. Add in 4 sets of 10 on Calf Raises, standing. Do this workout two days a week, say like Monday and Thursday.

On Tuesday and Friday, Keep the Bench Presses. Work lighter to heavier, 10-8-6-4-4. Keep also the Two Arm Rows. Pyramid 10-8-6-4-4. Add Seated Overhead Press for shoulder strength, 10-8-6-4. Shoulder Shrugs with dumbells, 4x10, for the Trapezius muscle. Dumbell Curls (prefer seated) 5 sets, 12-10-8-6-4, increasing weight. Finally, 5 sets of Closegrip Bench Press, for your Triceps, 12-10-8-6-4.
Lift hard, take time to recover between sets on the heavy stuff, like Bench, Deadlifts, Squats. The other ones 60-90 seconds between sets. When you feel you can, we can add more exercises, if necessary. As close as it is to the season starting, you probably won't be adding more this season. Pm me as to how long each workout takes, or if you have any questions.

Ok thanks and season starts today. Im mainly doing it to bulk up for college. Im playing for a small college here in oklahoma

Generally you want to build your size and strength before the season starts. Once you get into two a days, and regular practice after that, you need to spend most of your time working on technique, learning the playbook, and maintaining endurance. You can even do bodybuilding in the off season, but not during the season. Most bodybuilding exercises focus on muscle development, rather than power and pure strength building. I was very involved in the Bodybuilding community here in San Diego for many years, as an athlete, athlete's representative, judge, coach, and trainer. Have also worked with high school football players and team as strength coach.

whatever you eat, only hard work will gain you muscle mass. you need to do rep, after rep, after rep. till you ripped every muscle, time and time again.

though its a couple of decades ago. I played gridiron (to a national standard, in the UK)
as i recall my vitals were:
5-10
225+
19 inch upper arm.
45 inch chest
18 inch neck.

and all on an ordinary diet, (perhaps too much alcohol), supplemented with hours and hours of weights.

Actually, the quality of your workout is more important than the quantity. Better to train heavy and hard for one hour, than just doing set after set for two hours. Long workouts lead to lack of focus, more chance for orthopedic injury, and burnout in general. I find it best to set a time limit, then push to finish within that time frame. Forces me to train fast and hard.

Actually, the quality of your workout is more important than the quantity. Better to train heavy and hard for one hour, than just doing set after set for two hours. Long workouts lead to lack of focus, more chance for orthopedic injury, and burnout in general. I find it best to set a time limit, then push to finish within that time frame. Forces me to train fast and hard.

not for muscle bulk its not.
only ripping the muscle causes that. and that's just rep after rep.

lol, even Jody Marsh will tell you that. lol.

Raptor, I know you mean well, but that advice is not in the op's best interest. Quality beats quantity. I know it seems wrong to you, but trust me, you can overload the muscles way better on fewer, harder sets. All the current research supports this. Also, there is no such thing as ripping of the muscle, the growth is caused by the healing of micro tears in the muscle cells. Don't know who Jody is.

It doesnt matter either way although i do have to agree with creeker . My coach thinks I tore my rotator cusp in my shoulder yesterday during a scrimmage. I was told i could lift lightly after a doctors appointment on monday. Thanks for the info though. If i get cleared Ill probably post more on this thread.

I got some good news today. I didnt tear it, but I have some pretty bad bruising in the muscle. He said no lifting for a week and after that only light weight.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back