Good tankmates?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Skeptical_Mutt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all! It's me again. For my now empty 10 gal I'm thinking of stocking it with a male betta and 6 black neon tetras. I've done some research that says they're compatible and the aq calculator says it's 73% stocked. Do you think this will be okay?

Hello all! It's me again. For my now empty 10 gal I'm thinking of stocking it with a male betta and 6 black neon tetras. I've done some research that says they're compatible and the aq calculator says it's 73% stocked. Do you think this will be okay?
I think groups of at least 8 are good for tetras - my school of black neons has fallen apart and they hardly shoal together since their eighth member died a few days ago, so I'd say bump the number up to 8 just to be sure.
Best of luck, keep us updated.

10G is not large enough for black neons; amber tetras would work, and there are many nano fish you could try, as well...be advised, some bettas do well in community groups, others do not

10G is not large enough for black neons; amber tetras would work, and there are many nano fish you could try, as well...be advised, some bettas do well in community groups, others do not
Okay that's what I was wondering. I keep seeing different things on that, thats why I thought I'd ask before I got them. Thanks! I may try the Ember tetras again since they all got wiped out last time.

I'm a bit paranoid but, when it comes to betta in community, I would always have a backup plan ready. Add your other fish/invertebrates first and then the betta so he's less likely to view them as intruders. If he decides he hates the world and everyone in it (like my betta, Dmitri) have somewhere else to keep him on hand. You don't have to take this advice but it's what I like to do to be on the safe side.

Don’t put a Betta in with any other fish.

As others have mentioned above, Black Neon Tetras can’t be kept in a 10g tank, as they are active swimmers. A 20g long is the smallest recommended tank size.

—-

Those aquarium “calculators” aren’t usually accurate. I suggest you stop using them.

Hi There
I have had 7 black neons in my 15gallon fluval tank for two years now, and they are super healthy .
They school together nicely!
they share this small tank with a green barb, two Columbian tetras and seven bronze Cory's

I cant comment on the betta , as I have never had one.

I make sure to do weekly water changes and cleaning, and they are happily swimming around.
there is no fighting or signs of stress, or illness
In my experience the black neons are very hardy, healthy and easily adaptable.

goodluck !
and let us all know how it goes

Most reactions

trending

Back