Good tank mates for an agressive dwarf gourami?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fishboi2000

Reaction score
Sup yall. I have a dwarf gourami who was very aggressive and chased around bm previous fish. It is living in a 10-gallon tank and I don't want it to be lonely. Should I get on or two more dwarf gouramis or should I just get 3 or 4 platys? Thanks, bros!

Neither. If its aggressive at all a 10 is too small with tankmates. Its iffy for tankmates in a 10 anyway but if you already know that its aggressive that's a no go

In a bigger tank, what would you reccommend as far as tank mates?

In a 20 gallon (long) or a 30 gallon you could probably do a shoal of tetras and/or corydoras

In a bigger tank, what would you reccommend as far as tank mates?

This is difficult to answer with any degree of certainty. Gourami are territorial fish, which means they will consider the space as "theirs" and usually defend it. The "space" can vary, but in small tanks the entire tank is going to be the gourami's "space." What he/she allows to co-exist in it can vary, and could be absolutely nothing, or the gourami may allow this or that fish. There is no way to be certain until we add other fish...but this step must be taken very carefully as it can have serious consequences.

When the aquarist has more than one tank, like I have in my dedicated fish room, I can usually solve issues like this by moving a problem fish. I still research every species I consider acquiring beforehand so I know how the fish should normally behave and interact, and I absolutely never even imagine I am going to be able to change that. We cannot. Individual fiish will exhibit stronger or weaker inherent traits, sometimes due to the environmental situation we place them in, sometimes for reasons we do not fully understand...in other words, individual fish can be like individual dogs or cats or people and have behaviours outside the expected norm. When you deal with living creatures this must always be recognized and accepted.

The safest action in this situation is to either leave the dwarf gourami in the 10g alone, or return it to the store and plan suitable fish for this tank.

Thanks for the advice! I am planning to keep the gourami because I have done my research and he will do well in a 10-gallon tank. I also know that my specific fish is pretty shy, and that is why I plan on adding a few platys. I know that the platys will not be too threatened by the aggressive gourami and that having more fish in the tank beside him will make my gourami more active, and hopefully happier. Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice! I am planning to keep the gourami because I have done my research and he will do well in a 10-gallon tank. I also know that my specific fish is pretty shy, and that is why I plan on adding a few platys. I know that the platys will not be too threatened by the aggressive gourami and that having more fish in the tank beside him will make my gourami more active, and hopefully happier. Thoughts?

No, not in a 10g. This tank is not sufficient space for platies regardless of the gourami. If you insist on keeping the gourami, leave him alone in the 10g. Floating plants are important for gourami.

No, not in a 10g. This tank is not sufficient space for platies regardless of the gourami. If you insist on keeping the gourami, leave him alone in the 10g. Floating plants are important for gourami.
Thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate it, Byron. I am going to keep my dwarf gourami alone for at least a few months and see how he does. For now, I will keep the gourami alone, get a floating plant, and maybe add a few snails :) again, I really appreciate all of the advice.

No I dont think so

Will the dwarf gourami be sad and lonely alone?

There is, first off, absolutely no way we can ever know this for any fish. What I mean by this is, we do not have any evidence that fish feel emotions the same as humans. Anyone who says or thinks their fish is "happy" or "fine" regardless of their environment is deluding him or herself.

What we do know for a certainty, scientifically, is that each species of fish has evolved to expect certain factors in its life, and as these are programmed into the DNA they are absolute. For example, the obvious factor of a shoaling or schooling species requiring a group of their own species. We know that if this crucial factor is denied them, the fish will suffer consequences which increases stress and this weakens the immune system and has other ramifications for the fish's physiology and mental state. But these are concrete environmental factors, not human emotions.

So a single tetra will suffer stress and worse unless it has a group of its own. Or it will similarly suffer stress if the aquascape of its aquarium is not providing what the fish "expects." A bare aquarium such as those in stores, with no decor of any kind, definitely causes stress to fish. This temporary state may not have long-term consequences if we provide these expectations in the home aquarium. But long-term disregard for all necessary aspects of the fish's environment will lead tyo further stress, a reduced immune system, and premature death if some other disease does not claim the fish first.

Most reactions

Back