Good Substrate For A Planted Aquarium?

Wansui

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Today I bought a 240 litre aquarium, which was a big upgrade from my 45 litre. What should I use as substrate? I wan't to heavily plant this tank with jungle val, Hygrophila polysperma, Amazon sword, Anacharis and water wisteria. Is this plant list ok? and suggestions/modifications are welcome on the list. I plant on having 2 watts per 2 litres which is strong light. I'm leaning more towards sand as a substrate, with capsules as fertilizer because base layers/complete substrates are quite expensive. 
Would capsules provide enough nutrients for the plants? or would it be better to just go with a base layer/complete substrate.

Good plant stocking by the way. Maybe some anubias. I love anubias. I would also get a bit of wood and put flame moss on it, just tie it and it will root to it. Ok, as for lights, that seems ok to me. And here is what i would do: get the fert substrate, cover with layer of sand or gravel, whatever you prefer. Get seachem flourish liquid fert. Dose by the reccommended amount. Then, when you have more money, get seachem root tabs. Just my opinion.

KieranBoyne said:
Good plant stocking by the way. Maybe some anubias. I love anubias. I would also get a bit of wood and put flame moss on it, just tie it and it will root to it. Ok, as for lights, that seems ok to me. And here is what i would do: get the fert substrate, cover with layer of sand or gravel, whatever you prefer. Get seachem flourish liquid fert. Dose by the reccommended amount. Then, when you have more money, get seachem root tabs. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the plant suggestion. I'm not a huge fan of anubias unfortunately, but I may consider it as I do plan on having a large piece of drift would as a center piece for the tank. I may tie some flame/java moss to it.

All the plants on your list are tall background plants, you may want some mid or foreground plants to fill in.

2 watts per 2 litres is almost 4W per gallon which is very strong light.  All your fast growing stem plants will go nuts.  You will need a good CO2 system to support the mad growth under this light.

daizeUK said:
All the plants on your list are tall background plants, you may want some mid or foreground plants to fill in.

2 watts per 2 litres is almost 4W per gallon which is very strong light.  All your fast growing stem plants will go nuts.  You will need a good CO2 system to support the mad growth under this light.
Would you suggest a lower light? maybe 1 watt per 3 litres? I'd rather not deal with a Co2 system. I have alot of the plants I listed in my current aquarium without CO2 and the growth rate is perfect.

I agree about the co2 system. Too much effort huh? So, yeah, i guess that lighting would be better.

What sort of light do you have in your current aquarium?

Generally high light goes hand in hand with high carbon uptake.  Light is like the accelerator pedal which increases the rate at which plants burn nutrients.

daizeUK said:
What sort of light do you have in your current aquarium?

Generally high light goes hand in hand with high carbon uptake.  Light is like the accelerator pedal which increases the rate at which plants burn nutrients.
The light in my current tank is around 1 watt per 3 litres and I have no problem with plant growth, your imput is appreciated though, I just perfer the low tech approach when it comes to planted tanks.

1W per 3L sounds much better, that's the sort of light that will work for low tech tanks.
2W per 2L would be an algae fest without good CO2
smile.png

daizeUK said:
1W per 3L sounds much better, that's the sort of light that will work for low tech tanks.
2W per 2L would be an algae fest without good CO2
smile.png
Does the depth of the tank effect how many watts you use per litre? the 240 I have is 2ft deep. 1W per 3L is still the way to go? I just wan't to be 100% sure because I will be buying the lights/substrate tomorrow.

I use Seachem Onix Sand. My tank is heavily planted, but I also dose liquids and have Seachem root tabs under my swords and vals. No Co2. Plants are thriving. I have an old picture somewhere in my posts, but that was like 8 months ago. My tank is covered now, so you can see how it looks lol

I used to have Eco-complete mixed with Seachem flourish, they are both gravel-type. Worked just as good, just depends on your appearance preference. 

Oh, and here is a Deep vs Watts chart. It's not my chart, but I got it from the plantedtank website a while back. 
60fa0d54-cdf3-e612_zpse7ae8372.jpg

The depth of your tank shouldn't be a big concern unless you were planning on having light-hungry carpeting plants at substrate level.  Most lights are fine up to 2ft depth.

Mylesmom08 said:
I use Seachem Onix Sand. My tank is heavily planted, but I also dose liquids and have Seachem root tabs under my swords and vals. No Co2. Plants are thriving. I have an old picture somewhere in my posts, but that was like 8 months ago. My tank is covered now, so you can see how it looks lol

I used to have Eco-complete mixed with Seachem flourish, they are both gravel-type. Worked just as good, just depends on your appearance preference. 

Oh, and here is a Deep vs Watts chart. It's not my chart, but I got it from the plantedtank website a while back. 
60fa0d54-cdf3-e612_zpse7ae8372.jpg
I would need atleast 5 bags of Seachem Onix Sand to fill my 4ft aquarium, this would cost me around £130 ($218) so thats alot more than I would like to spend on substrate. Would normal sand be ok as long as I use root tabs and liquid ferts? and thanks for the chart, it's helpful. That means 1 watt per 3 litres will be fine for my aquarium.
daizeUK said:
The depth of your tank shouldn't be a big concern unless you were planning on having light-hungry carpeting plants at substrate level.  Most lights are fine up to 2ft depth.
1 watt per 3 litres it is then. Thanks for your advise, you've been very helpful :) Now I just have to figure out what substrate to use.

Yes sand is fine.

If you want a cheap planting substrate, consider cat litter.  It does the same job as eco-complete for a fraction of the cost.  You have to buy a clay-based non-clumping such as Tesco's brand lightweight cat litter.  It's a nice red colour.  Many swear by it, personally I find it too lightweight to hold the plants down properly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back