Good Rabbit Situation?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

guppy2002

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My sister and I are saving up for a bunny!!!
I am a teenager and haven't gotten the official ok from the parents but early research can never hurt!
We have a rabbit rescue nearby that adopts out all kinds of bunnies for only 35 bucks and they are neutered and litter trained and everything. Plus it's a rescue, so I don't need to feel guilty about buying from petsmart.
But that's not the point.......
The rabbit would be allowed to roam our room during the day (when we're sure he's potty trained and he knows the area) and I was wondering if one of those little wire cages would be ok if he's allowed out most of the time. The one I'm looking at is 40 by 17 inches, and I'm thinking three feet is good enough for sleeping/eating/pooping.

Thanks in advance. Of you have any other rabbit-keeping tips let me know! :)

Ps.
The cage won't have actual rabbit bedding. Just some blankets/towels and stuff. Other cheap suggestions are helpful

Hi, I'm not so sure 
confused.gif
 it is good you are doing your research but firstly you must get your parents permission and secondly the cage does not sound like a good idea, I know people do keep indoor rabbits but it is not the ideal scenario in my opinion, unless they have lived a life indoors since they were born? I have an outdoor bunny he is a mini rex and has plenty of space in a 7ft run and huge hutch plus free roam of the garden when I am about, he loves to run and jump and I could not imagine him in a cage
confused.gif
  bunnies are active animals, be aware they will chew wallpaper and carpets and any wires you have, they need to chew constantly to keep their teeth worn, perhaps a smaller animal such as a hamster or possibly a guinea pig is better for your situation?

That's, more or less, how I keep my current rabbit
smile.png

You certainly can have a smaller hutch, if your bunny's going to be running round your room most of the day. Do make sure you go over your room really carefully, making sure you've blocked access to anything chewable; especially any electrical wires or extension leads. Rabbits are very attracted by something in the insulation, and they will chew through them.

My previous house rabbit bit through at least three telephone lines and two or three Playstation controller leads! Annoying (and expensive!), but if they'd been live cables, she would have electrocuted herself for sure.

I would also consider using proper rabbit bedding of some sort; my rabbit prefers to pee on a towel, and I have to do an awful lot of washing because of that! It's much easier to have wood chippings (or something similar) in the actual hutch, so I can just throw it away after a day or two.

Although you can, fairly easily, train a rabbit to pee in a litter tray, they never really learn to control their pooping, so you will have to take picking that up into consideration; luckily rabbit poop is dry and not smelly, so it's not too bad a job.

Make sure your bunny has access to some sticks or branches for chewing (although mine prefers chewing the furniture to his sticks *sighs*).

Let me know if you need any more advice; I've been keeping and breeding rabbits since I was ten, so that's over thirty years now!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back