Good Plants For Hard H2o

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Darth

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, My GH is about 12, wondering what plants would be grow well in here? i have an Anubias that is going pretty good so far. Stoll need to get a new light too, the one I have has two regular fluro bulbs in it... Thanx

Most plants are fine with hard water, it's other conditions that are way more important. Like water circulation, CO2 availability, other fertilisers, substrate and lighting.

More info needed to advise plants :).

Substrate: Black Tahitian Moon with three bits of drift wood
No co2----> was going to avoid it if possible being new to this whole thing
pH sits at 6.6 to 7
Filter cycles about 700L/H in a 150L tank
not sure about ferts, I have BN in the tank at the moment, wouldn't the ferts hurt them?

700lph is a on the low end of the scale. Try add a powerhead to increase the circulation. Aim for another 700lph or more.
Ferts will no way shape or form hurt the BN plec or any other fish for that matter.

Put simply, its a submersible motor driven impeller that pushes water around the tank.

You can see a 900lph powerhead in the top right hand side of the picture in my sig. That is one of the more popular powerheads. Its called a hydor koralia. And while quite powerful, the flow is spread out so its also gentle at the same time if you know what i mean. Good circulation, without blowing everything to the other side of the tank. Also has a "unique mounting method" or whatever they call it meaning you can angle it in pretty much any direction you want.

On more basic models the flow is quite a concentrated flow that you dont have as much control over.

Yep, the idea is to eliminate dead spots of water that can trigger algae growth.

What wattage of lighting do you have?

How deep is the tank?

Two 18W T8's (most likely what they are) over 150L isnt that much, but certainly isnt too little for loads of plant species :).

also be aware of the filter "rating" if they say 700 litre per hour than that figure is usually taken with no media inside, when media is added you will lose a 1/3 of the filter flow!

that said i still wouldn't rush straight out and buy new kit, the 10x flow "rule" is more for high tech tanks, its not so important in a lower light set up!
i'd see how it goes and decide if you need to add more flow.

Sweet, I really cant wait for the weekend now so I can go and buy some new plants.... Thanx heaps everyone!
The tank is about 50 cm deep, bit less with substrate

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back