Good Luck, East Coast

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
We get tornadoes here all the time and I'm unsure what you mean by wooden house? I'm pretty sure that by building code all bases need to be built from concrete.

Just what we see on the news over here, the majority of country houses in America that are blown down seem to be wooden as a pose to decent 2 or 3 skin brick houses. Imdont mean the foundations which are underground anyway, but the actual walls, frame etc. No wind will take down a house made of breeze blocks with an outer layer of bricks which is what the majority of British houses are

As per the video above, the wood just bounced off the grey breeze block and decent red brick

And I know cost was mentioned. But I'd rather buy 1 expensive house once than a cheaper house every year

We get tornadoes here all the time and I'm unsure what you mean by wooden house? I'm pretty sure that by building code all bases need to be built from concrete.

Just what we see on the news over here, the majority of country houses in America that are blown down seem to be wooden as a pose to decent 2 or 3 skin brick houses. Imdont mean the foundations which are underground anyway, but the actual walls, frame etc. No wind will take down a house made of breeze blocks with an outer layer of bricks which is what the majority of British houses are

As per the video above, the wood just bounced off the grey breeze block and decent red brick

And I know cost was mentioned. But I'd rather buy 1 expensive house once than a cheaper house every year

You really have to think of the nation your talking about. in the course of the past two days i had no clue anything was battering the coast much less a hurricane, northen Mississippi/greater Memphis has not been affected weather wise.

America is a very large space of land, as far where i am in relation to say crossfire,there might as well be an ocean between us.

as it is the economy also spreads very diversely, in states like where I'm in its just now in the past 100 years come to be what it is,cheap housing had to be made. although a small place compared to America, a lot of European countries have been building torwards that level of society for a good hundreds of years.

I could see America being hard to understand from an outside point of view, when i my self wonder how it all ticks along the way it does

Hey now, this is a post about preparation for Hurricane Sandy.
Let's not drag politics or economics into this, some people may rage about it, getting the topic locked. :good:

Sandy's here in Maryland. It's pounding rain, but so far no strong winds thank God. Just heard on the radio that winds up to 50mph will be expected and continuous around 1pm.

I'll be in the basement, playing Skyrim until the power goes out :ninja:

Good luck, everyone. Here's hoping you, and your loved ones, all stay safe.

Spoke too soon, the wind is really vicious now. I swear I can feel my house move :unsure:
Power is bound to go out any second now. I'm jealous of everyone who lives west of me now :grr:

This is a picture of Ocean City, about a three hour drive from where I live

ap_hurricane_sandy_ss3_high_water_jt_121028_ssh.jpg

That road is the Coastal Highway, it runs parallel to the coast of the Atlantic, maybe 100 meters away?

Sandy's found me! Rain has started pouring, and the wind, which we've had since yesterday, is starting to pick up a lot. I hope my husband gets it in his head to leave work and come home soon. Knowing him, he'll be last one out of the building!

I just learned that the center, or eye, of the hurricane is bearing down on me. Still have power, just not for long.
It's getting worse, all the trees have lost their leaves.
I also just heard on the radio that the famous Fishing Pier in Ocean City is gone. As in, swept out to sea in pieces :crazy:

Not excited

Here's a pretty chilling slideshow with some pictures of New York city abandoned because of evacuations
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/nyc-empties-ahead-of-hurricane-sandy-slideshow/#crsl=%252Fphotos%252Fnyc-empties-ahead-of-hurricane-sandy-slideshow%252Fview-shows-holland-tunnel-being-shutdown-weather-conditions-photo-180808856.html

I just learned that the center, or eye, of the hurricane is bearing down on me. Still have power, just not for long.
I also just heard on the radio that the famous Fishing Pier in Ocean City is gone. As in, swept out to sea in pieces :crazy:

Not excited

Really? when is the eye going to hit us? :(

Not excited

Really? when is the eye going to hit us? :(

Tonight. Around 9ish. Expect 80-90mph winds and heavy rain.

Well, I just got information that it's shifted and the strongest winds will be here in less 30 minutes. I will most likely lose power, I'm shutting off for now and going to go hunker down. I live in the woods, so if a tree decides to land on on us, we're toast :unsure: Basement will be the safest spot to be.

Everyone stay safe, and if I don't make ( I most likely will :rolleyes: ) someone come and get my loaches and take good care of them!

Crossfire out.

Good Luck Crossfire.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back