Good Light Fixtures For A 75 Gallon Planted Aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Waterfins

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I plan to start a 75 gallon planted aquarium, does anyone know a good brand of aquarium lights to use for it?

Also does anyone know any hardy plants that can sustain a bit of wear and tear from a large fish?
tongue2.gif

It will help members if you can be more specific.  What fish species, and what type of planted aquarium do you intend?

Byron said:
It will help members if you can be more specific.  What fish species, and what type of planted aquarium do you intend?
A green terror cichlid and I'm not sure, I've never really done a planted aquarium to be honest. Though I have heard that cichlids are a bit rough with plants.

Cichlids vary on many fronts depending upon species, and the Green Terror, Andinoacara rivulatus, is notorious for digging so I would suggest a planted tank is not feasible.  Floating plants are OK, and would provide shade which the fish would appreciate.  A sandy substrate with chunks of wood and branches would be natural.

Byron said:
Cichlids vary on many fronts depending upon species, and the Green Terror, Andinoacara rivulatus, is notorious for digging so I would suggest a planted tank is not feasible.  Floating plants are OK, and would provide shade which the fish would appreciate.  A sandy substrate with chunks of wood and branches would be natural.
Is there any specific kinds of floating plants you'd recommend? 

Substantial plants would be better.  Have a look at Water Lettuce and Frogbit.  Water Sprite might be too delicate, but maybe not.  Even if it does get nibbled on, it reproduces very rapidly.

Most reactions

Back