Good Idea or Bad Idea?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chad08

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 oscars and a pleco in a 55 gallon. My 2 oscars are about 3 inches each and my pleco is about 5 inches. I just got a new tank which is 120 gallons. I think my 2 oscars are a pair. Would it be a bad idea to add a fish or two...and if so what? Maybe a Texas Cichlid or a Jack Dempsey...Any advice would be great thanks!!!

could work in a 120. the tank will fill in no time. no fish bigger than around 6 inches

Personally, from my experience with 2 different Texas cichlids, would NOT put a Texas with an Oscar. They might be ok for a while, but eventually they will get hurt. Both Texas' I've had were total psychos at one point or another. My male is now kept in check by my Jaguar. The female was returned months ago. I couldn't even keep them together. The male damn near killed the smaller female.
I currently have with my 10" Red Oscar: a 6-7" Jack Dempsey, 4" Green Severum, 3.5" Pink Con, 2" (stunted) striped con and just recently added a particularly aggressive 2" Firemouth. There is also a 11" Pleco in there.

These guys are working well together and have for some time.

I would go with any of the above as well as Green Terrors.

maybe this isnt possible but, i think u can train an oscar not to be so aggressive. if u raise it when small with bigger fish that are community and never feed it live food i think they wont bother some fish as much. i know i had an oscar once but it was sick. my jackdempseys beat it up and it had small holes in its head that looked like pores. it wouldnt eat feeder fish but would gladly eat pellits. its face looked deformed too. my petstore doesnt get good shipments of oscars. if you raise juvinial fish together i think they wont harm eachother as they get older. i am probably wrong tho, my oscar probably didnt eat those feeders because he wasnt in a good tank, it was too small and he was sick.

EX-AmP said:
how big a tank missy?
They are in a 55g. I'm going to be getting my 125 within the next week or two and once its up and cycled, I know my set ups are going to change drastically. Still haven't decided exactly who I'll be moving in there yet except for sure my silver arowana and my Green Terror. (I can't split up Cuervo and Pliskin now can I?)
Once I am getting closer to time to move my babies in to the new tank I'm sure I'll be asking opinions!

And I don't know about training an O not to be aggressive to other tankmates. I have taught mine *NOT* to jump for his food. That was definately a trait that I wanted to try and break him of. My newest Oscar is learning this lesson too. They get so eager for food they will jump out of the tank to get at it. What I've been doing is with holding the food if the jump. If they just wait at the surface for the food to be released, then no problem!

Thanks everyone!!! I'm still not sure if I will add fish or not

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back