Good/bad Substrate For Corys?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fignewton

Reaction score
I'm setting up my tank and would really like to use Florite because of its terracotta-like color. Is that too rough for corys?

I'm setting up my tank and would really like to use Florite because of its terracotta-like color. Is that too rough for corys?

I personally haven't used Florite but if you take some and rub it between your hands (wet hands and sand) and it feels rough, then chances are that it's too rough. Remember, the Corys move stuff around with their extremely delicate barbels. If they get damaged then you'll have a time on your hands to get them healed.

I've found that small gravel works. Just make sure that it isn't very abrasive or sharp. As Cory_Dad said, their barbels are sensitive, and very easy to damage. ;)

Corys do vacum sand. I goes through their gills. That is why sometimes you will see blood worms coming out their gills. Cichlids will do the same thing. They do it a little differently of course. A Cichlid dives into the sand and grabs a mouth full then blows it out his gills.

But that is another reason that Cory philes kinda get pushy about sand. I have mixed sand and flourite. I saw where one guy in the plant section had put retainig walls and had sand on one side and EcoComplete on the other.

You know I just got two bags of flourite. I might do that sand with a retainer thing. The worst that happens is that they mix after a while. But I really don't do well with plants in sand. My Corys always dig everything up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back