Goldfish.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cynic

Fishaholic
Reaction score
The wife and i have reached the point where we need a decent change to our tank, lot of the stock has passed from age and we have been holding off replacing them as the wife and i have wanted bigger feature fish.

We were restricted by our original choice of fish, one of those being a red-tailed shark, he passed recently at around 8 years old. That has released us from being careful of 'Bob' not taking to the new guys. He was a good 6 inches long and a wonderful blue grey. Much as the fish has its temper tantrums the tail is a superb tank health indicator.

Now Bob free the wife has always wanted to return to gold fish, at 400l and 5ft long i think its perfectly capable of 4, even 5fish. Commons probably, have some plants and a medium sand base at the moment, a media change is on the cards as well as the plants etc.

What kind of thing will suit the goldies going forward and anything to be aware of, they will have to share for a while with some Amano shrimp and some harlequin rasbora, they arrived a little after Bob so are in their later years. Im thinking the goldfish will grow into the tank as the tankmates go i can focus the tank on the goldfish.

This is an interesting topic as I gave Goldfish a lot of thought the other day and thought that I want some too. Their keep and requirements are low cost. No heaters being the biggest advantage. They are hardy and tough and pretty too. I saw a couple in a Chinese restaurants aquarium that were beautiful. Nothing fancy but deeply colored . I started out with Goldfish and guppies years ago and I kinda want to come back full circle.

Thanks, not just me then.

There is so much conflicting information out there about keeping them, it's as if people don't actually know.

Like the water volume, my tank is approaching 400L, i have seen the ponds in garden centres and most of them once you have added some media and planting will only be 400 odd litres of free space but people see fit to have no end of gold fish in ponds.
Yet an aquarium tank needs to be 150l per fish, plus anther 50 per fish.

Then the media, should be small enough for their mouths, but not sand, but also big so they don't swallow them? huh.

Was kind of hoping someone might chip in who keeps them successfully, I want to have them as a feature, to show them off and I want to see them at their biggest and best, 10, 12 inches long when adult. I darn well hope so.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back