Goldfish tank size

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ember04

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Here we go

I know how debated this is but I have a 70-gallon tank with a good filter and I was wondering if 4 fancy goldfish could live a full happy life in it
the dimensioned are 43 h 60 w 100 l in cm

what are your options

All I know is that goldfish need HUGE tanks. @Deanasue is usually really good with goldfish related questions

To start with they will be fine, but not long term. Goldfish need huge volumes of water minimum for four fish I would say 60x60x120 and only with good filtration and loads of plant.

I have a 70 gallon with a filter for a 120 gallon this is to help with good water quality also have have added a lot of plants, I have a low and long tank as it is only 43 tall but is over a meter long

I understand goldfish are hard to properly size in an aquarium but I have tried to stick to as many rules as possible and more the whole 20 gallons for the first and 10 for the next one thing I have done more for me it is about 33 gallons for the first and 12 for each additional one, also i have increase filtration to keep water quality good

Here we go

I know how debated this is but I have a 70-gallon tank with a good filter and I was wondering if 4 fancy goldfish could live a full happy life in it
the dimensioned are 43 h 60 w 100 l in cm

what are your options
Yes, they can live a full happy life since they are fancies. May not grow to full potential.

I understand goldfish are hard to properly size in an aquarium but I have tried to stick to as many rules as possible and more the whole 20 gallons for the first and 10 for the next one thing I have done more for me it is about 33 gallons for the first and 12 for each additional one, also i have increase filtration to keep water quality good
More is always better. :)

Thank you I am in the process of setting up my patio pond now do you think I could get one oranda, one rhykin, one runchu and one moor or do they all have to be the same time. I would be getting them all at the same time

can you mix breeds of fancy goldfish like oranda, rhykins and runchus?

You can mix some varities of goldfish together.
eg:
comets with comets (these have a long single tail).
common with common (these have a short single tail).

fantails with fantails (these have 2 tails).
With fantails, you an keep some varieties together but others should be kept separate. Pearlscale goldfish are a balloon form of goldfish and cannot swim fast, and should not be kept with normal fantail goldfish.

Bubble-eye goldfish should not be kept with other goldfish due to the large sack on each eye.

Ranchu goldfish are another balloon goldfish and have no dorsal fin and have more trouble swimming than other goldfish.

All the really deformed goldfish should be avoided because it is cruel to deliberately breed a mutated fish that can't swim properly and has trouble digesting food.

Last edited:
Ok, I am keeping all slower species of goldfish so that should be ok then I am not keeping any bubble eyes I think that you are right they are cruel.
I am keeping orandas, ranchu and ryukins in a large patio pond which I think will give then a good life :)

Thanks for everyone's help I will post a picture of the finished patio pond in a few months when it is all done an stocked

hi there I thought I would update you all, I have upgraded to a 140 gallon which is 150 cm long, 70 cm wide and 50 cm tall.
also doing more research I don't think fancy goldfish can go outside in ponds so I will go with common goldfish.
how many common or comet goldfish could I get in my 140 gallons well filter well-planted patio pond
ember04

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back