goldfish spasm

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Spitz006

Reaction score
one of my goldfish is having spasms near the top of the tank... i got him from walmart. i don't know the nitrogen levels or ph or anything like that, i just set the tank up, let it cycle for 2 days, and added the goldfish. i will get test strips soon but what do you think the problem is? i know there are a million factors that come in to play but any suggestions or ideas will be helpfull. -_-

how big is the fish, how many and how big the tank? as you havent reall cycled the tank yet it could be high ammonia levels. did you dechlorinate the water and float the fish before you added it. it could also be a different ph to what he was used to. unless you can get the water tested for nitrite,nitrate ammonia and ph then im guessing im afraid. post back soon :)

Spitz006 said:
i just set the tank up, let it cycle for 2 days, and added the goldfish.
Cycles can take anything from one week to 6 weeks,
two days is not a cycle!

please read the many articles on this site reguarding cycling your tank.

the size of the tank and number of fish in it are in my signiture. the fish is i dunno a couple iches. it's a fancy. i didn't have to dechlorinate the water because i have well water, and yes i floated the fish first. I couldn't do a proper fishless cycling because i already had the fish, (rescued from the science dept. at my high school) so i just wanted them to get in a tank as soon as possible. i guess i'll get some test strips today and post back soon. :dunno:

I thought you said walmart :/

Oh well, the tank is not cycled at all at this point, the fastest way to get it cycled is to take some of the substrate out of your 55 gallon and put it in the 10; Its also way to small, two fancy goldfish need atleast 30 gallons or will very soon; Also chances are if it came from walmart it is very ill, imbred, and has some viruses.

Also Are the inhabitents of your midsized tank African cichlids? And arent you afriad that your African Clawed frog will eat your other fish? I think you would do well to go into Tropical Chit Chat and have the folks there give your stocking list a good overlooking :nod:

Goodluck with the little fellow

oh yeah :S *smacks self* one is a fancy and from wal-mart, the other is a common and from my high school.(but im sure they just bought a bunch of commons from wal-mart anyway, so he's probably from there anyway) anyway yeah thanks. there is already substrate and fake plants from my 55 in my 10 so i guess it will cycle eventually.

Most reactions

Back