Goldfish ich?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Whales7

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a common comet goldfish that my sister brought home from a fair who is about a year old. He grew up in my 20 gallon and then moved to my dad's 60 about ten months ago, and he has been doing fine. However I noticed he is kind of less energetic lately, and I think he has ich. His eyes are kind of cloudy and there are little white dots on his fins, and some of his scales are faded or fallen off. Should I isolate him to a tank for treatment? There are angelfish and discus in that 60. I only have a ten gallon hospital tank, though. I have heard about the heat treatment but there is no way my dad would let me do anything to his tank heat wise, and probably not medication wise either. Would my goldfish survive the move into a ten gallon hospital tank that hasn't been fully cycled? He is pretty big, too, about six inches/the size of a gold gourami at this point.

Do not put the fish into a small tank.

--------------------------
Any chance of a picture of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

Cloudy eyes are normally caused by poor water quality and the best treatment is big daily water changes and cleaning up the tank.
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media in a bucket of tank water and re-use it.

Have you added anything new to the tank in the last 2 weeks.
If nothing new has been added in the last 2 weeks it's unlikely to be whitespot.

Male goldfish develop small white dots on the side of their face and on their pectoral (side) fins when they mature and coming into breeding condition.

I did a water change after reading this and he is much better! Thank you

Monitor the fish because if it is whitespot, the parasites have simply dropped off the fish and are dividing in the gravel. In a few days time they will hatch out and reinfect the fish and it will get covered in spots. However, if no more spots appear in a week, it should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back