Goldfish Fry - What do I do?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Moonweaver

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My three comet goldfish laid eggs a few days ago and we removed them into a separate container, most of the eggs have hatched. Unfortunately I have no idea how to care for goldfish fry, is it similar to guppy fry? Any help is appreciated! Some of the fry are just laying on their side, and other are like sticking to the edge of their container... Help is appreciated!

Edit: The night before my mom accidentally left some of the eggs out of the water, they still hatched though. I'm not sure if that changes anything

The following link has information about culturing food for baby fish. Normally you start the cultures a month before you breed the fish but there is a section about half way down called Emergency Fry Food. It tells you how to use boiled egg yolk to feed baby fish.

You can use a clean fish sponge to wipe algae off the glass of the aquarium and squeeze the algae into the fry tank for them to eat.

If you have live plants in the aquarium, the baby fish will feed on microscopic organisms on the plants.

Don't bother feeding the babies until they start swimming around, that should be in a couple of days.

The following link has information about culturing food for baby fish. Normally you start the cultures a month before you breed the fish but there is a section about half way down called Emergency Fry Food. It tells you how to use boiled egg yolk to feed baby fish.

You can use a clean fish sponge to wipe algae off the glass of the aquarium and squeeze the algae into the fry tank for them to eat.

If you have live plants in the aquarium, the baby fish will feed on microscopic organisms on the plants.

Don't bother feeding the babies until they start swimming around, that should be in a couple of days.
. Whoa! Thank you! Do you have any tips for doing water changes?

Use the siphon and just be careful not to suck them up

Oh I have never seen goldfish fry, please take a photo and upload when you can.

goldfish fry look like most other egg laying fish fry, they are tiny and clear and you can see the eyes and spine

Most reactions

trending

Back